[.net] Add Resources Disabled in C++ Express

Started by
7 comments, last by PaulEdwards 18 years ago
I have a console C++ application in MS Visual C++ 2005 Exress and I'd like to add an icon resource to it. The Project->Add Resources menu item is greyed out though. Does anyone know why this is and how I can add my icon?
Andrew
Advertisement
You cannot edit Resource files using the Express Editions. Unfortunatley, you can only do so with the Standard, Professional, etc. editions.

Yea, I know.... it sucks.
< sarcasm >
Yeah, MS should have given the full functionality of the Pro version in the Express version!
< /sarcasm >

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Okay thanks, I wasn't sure if that was the case or not.
Andrew
You could use SharpDevelop.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Thanks for the suggestion and I checked it out, but the situation is that I already have a project written in C++ and all I'd like to do is add a resource (an icon) to it. SharpDevelop seems to only support C# and VB and expectedly didn't seem to work out when I tried to open up and modify my C++ project.

So am I doing something wrong with SharpDevelop or are there any other ways of simply adding a single icon resource to a project?
Andrew
Hmm, no problem adding resources to a VB.NET project. Maybe it's a quirk of C++ EE?

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Why don't you just open your .rc file and add the code to that manually? My app has the following code for an icon:

1 ICON "app.ico"

EDIT: This may be helpful.
EDIT2: If your project is using a .resx instead of a .rc you might look using Resourcer.
thannett, thanks, that was certainly all that it needed. I haven't worked much with Windows resources and didn't really know how all the pieces fit together (just that I needed the icon added as a resource to my project).

So anyway, problem solved, thanks to all who replied!
Andrew

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement