Developing C++ in Vista with Radeon 9800, how do I activate "real" OpenGL?

Started by
0 comments, last by Yann L 18 years ago
The code I have in Win32 that creates an OpenGL context always uses the OpenGL-D3D translator. I have a Radeon 9800 with the latest Vista beta drivers, and Vista build 5308 installed. I'm reading that I need to create a device context that points to ATI's OpenGL ICD, but how do I do that? I'm using Win32... do I have to do something else with my pixel format descriptor? Enumerate some pixel formats and pick the right one? Do I have to install something else? Thanks
Mark Grocki
Advertisement
Vista OpenGL drivers are far from finished right now, and more a temporary hack than anything else. Everything you're going to code on the current beta is probably going to be obsolete once the drivers will actually incorporate their OpenGL part into the compositing manager. Even worse, hackish workarounds will probably stop working on the final version. Especially considering that due to the added complexity of the LDDM and the compositing system, seamless OpenGL integration is rather low priority right now. It will be included when everything else is stable.

In fact, current nVidia drivers crash everytime I try to open a window with OpenGL rendering support on Vista Beta 5308. I doubt they even include the GL parts yet. *shrug*

You could try to enable native GL by switching to fullscreen mode. That is if the early ATI Vista drivers include a GL component. If not, then you will always fall back to the D3D wrapper, since this one is from Microsoft and not included in the drivers.

Quote:
Do I have to install something else?

Yes - the final Vista with final drivers ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement