[java] J2ME to J2SE...

Started by
2 comments, last by Shabadoo 18 years ago
Is it much of a stretch if I know J2ME well to go to doing Windows based Java applications? Looking to try my hand at a browser based applet game possibly using mySQL to store information. It'd be easy to update items in game I guess with mySQL... just add em to the database? then tinker slightly with code. I had some good knowledge in C++ before I jumped into J2ME - Never worked with Java on a PC platform - just phones. So, there anything I need to know that'll be different on the PC than the mobile phone? Aside from memory restrictions? TroubledSoul
Advertisement
Well.. surely, your scope gets wider when on J2SE. Java ME is nothing but a small portion of the SE API being ported to devices as they get more "powerful". Obviously, most of SE code does not fit in ME environments, so ME also has its share of original code.

If moving from ME to SE expect to have a lot more features available to you, and that you probably already know. Java SE is a full set of classes to do anything you wish with a computer (that you could do using C++ =).

I'd recommend reading the Java Tutorial... best place to start.

Son Of Cain

[Edit: Okidoki =]

[Edited by - Son of Cain on April 18, 2006 6:50:26 AM]
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Quote:Original post by Son of Cain
Well.. surely, your scope gets wider when on J2SE. Java ME is nothing but a small portion of the SE API being ported to devices as they get more "powerful". Obviously, most of SE code does not fit in ME environments, so ME also has its share of original code.

If moving from ME to SE expect to have a lot more features available to you, and that you probably already know. Java SE is a full set of classes to do anything you wish with a computer (that you could do using C++ =).

I'd recommend reading the Java Tutorial (<----needs link [smile])... best place to start.

Son Of Cain

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Java Tutorial

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement