FutureMusic... what happened to it?

Started by
1 comment, last by VectorWarrior 18 years ago
I was a loyal reader of FutureMusic for a LONG time, up until about a year ago. I go to the newsstand, pick up an issue, and what the hell? It's smaller on all sides, thinner, focuses on big-name DJs, no longer seems to feature reader demos, no longer has sample CD or new release reviews (hold on - they're in the back, after the BS cheap advertising section) and most importantly, it seems they've DONE AWAY WITH THE RATINGS SYSTEM. They don't seem to rate ANYTHING about the things they review anymore, they just gush over them and suggest the best scenario possible for their use - in fact, I think I didn't read one bad thing about ANYTHING in this whole issue! They've done away with their numerical rating system, they no longer list pros and cons... They even gushed over GarageBand. Furthermore, they seem to plug things in the form of sidebars that are being pushed by big name companies, for example, they refer to the "kore" as revolutionary, though through my experience it's just a midi controller without the ability to actually PLAY the notes live and better handling of VSTi control management. What gives? Am I just going crazy? Was FutureMusic ALWAYS like this? What happened to my magazine?
http://www.kalemika.com/music
Advertisement
Can't say I read it - I pick up Computer Music on the rare occasion that I find such magazines relevant. Perhaps the size decrease has come about from lost advertising revenue, and there's been pressure on the writers to never write bad reviews to avoid jeopardising that ad revenue.
I know what you mean... read Sound on Sound instead, it's a million, million times better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement