Sign in to follow this  
derek7

how to use sdl with directx?

Drew_Benton    1861
Here's the thing derek7, on Windows, SDL uses DirectDraw 5 or GDI if DD5 is not avaliable. On other platforms, it uses their native or extended graphics API avaliable. So, yes you can make a card game using SDL, but it will internally use DD5 or GDI. You will want to probabally use additional SDL libraries, such as SDL_Image and SDL_Mixer though, otherwise you will have a harder time ahead of you.

Mushu    1396
I've used SDL with DirectX in the same manner I've used SDL with OpenGL. Direct3D 9.0 with SDL. The only difference is that you can't (to my knowledge) use SDL render calls like this. If you use the SDL/OpenGL combination you can still render with SDL. With SDL/D3D you can't, afaik.

EDIT: Oh, I misread the original post. That seems to happen a lot for me at this hour.

xEricx    572
Think of SDL as a "wrapper" over the graphics API. If you keep your game 2D, you have no need to learn anything of DirectX or OpenGL and can simply use the basic surface functions provided in SDL.

derek7    100
so if the sdl default use directdraw or gdi, how to I set lib or dll , so the sdl can find them or I do not need to setup anything like path variable...