microsoft vs. bloodshed

Started by
66 comments, last by Adam Hamilton 17 years, 12 months ago
i currently use dev-cpp. why do people say visual studio 2005 (or any other microsoft compiler) is better than dev. what does microsoft have that dev doesnt.
Advertisement
The integrated debugger is really something you'd want to try. The ditor itself is also very good (better than dev-cpp's editor IMHO). The integrated help system rocks and there's a ton of functionalities.

Beside that, their goals are the same :)

Regards,
I'm a huge fan of VS.NET. Its easier to navigate, has better macros, better debug options, etc.

I ran into a few bugs the few times I've tried dev-cpp. For example, the watch window will not update until the mouse clicks on it. Thats not really a bug, but I have seen a variable get updated incorrectly. I was watching 2 variables, lets call them:
object->position.x
and
velocity.x
I was stepping through a function that had a pointer to object and a local velocity (the variables above). And for some reason, it thought that one of the (x) variables was the other and incorrectly updated it.

I haven't used other compilers much, but when I did, I just couldn't see any reason to use them over Visual Studio. If you haven't tried it, I highly suggest you do; though it is a bit pricy if you don't get a nice student discount.
-------Harmotion - Free 1v1 top-down shooter!Double Jump StudiosBlog
If you;re doing any DirectX(specifically Direct3D) MSVS is the way to go, on 2003(don't know about 2005) it has special debuggers for Direct3D. And the compiler is alot more specific when doing Windows programming.

It comes with a bunch of tools too.
The integrated help system is a great feature, I come to find myself using it all the time.

I've never liked Dev-C++, I don't know why. Another free one that I use from time to time is Code::Blocks.
"Castles made of sand, fall into the see, eventually" -Jimi Hendrix3D Buzz
i dont like the way that you have to include microsoft specific stuff which isnt standard c++
Quote:Original post by shred master
i dont like the way that you have to include microsoft specific stuff which isnt standard c++

You don't have to.
i saw some guy and he was putting in pre-processor directives that wernt standard.
Yes, but you dont have to. I never used pragmas or turning warnings of.

Dave
Quote:Original post by shred master
i saw some guy and he was putting in pre-processor directives that wernt standard.

It's possible to write non-standard code, but I don't believe VC++ have any non-standard pre-processor directives. What were the directives? Anyway the debugger is the most important thing in Visual Studio. Also IntelliSense seems to be better than the Dev-Cpp equivilant.
#pragma once is typically found at the start of header files to stop the compiler from loading the header file again. This is only found on MS compilers to my knowledge.

But I guess that if you have written a whole project using the #pragma once directive then you could write a simple program to convert all the #pragma once directives into the standard include guards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement