Sign in to follow this  

Tutorials

This topic is 4260 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've found that the most common problem I have is finding the right name for the job. The name of a function, flag, variable, or even an idea. Once I get the name, its easy to search for the answer. I'm not sure where that rant fits into the post, but the question is: What are your favorite tutorial sites for upper-level directX stuff? Shading, multitexturing, texture stages, point sprites, bump mapping, lighting... you know, anything besides drawing a triangle. Heres my lifesavers. Two-Kings Toymaker Andy Pike And there is always GameTutorials, but I don't like their style of tutorial-by-code-comment. And they charge money to learn, never a good practice on the internet; unless you are giving out a diploma at the end. Edit: Horribly failed at my first attempt of including links :(

I really like all DX samples. While they arn't tutorials, I find them very easy to learn from, and quite "to the point". I also often check them when I'm doing something similar, to make sure I havn't missed a call or two somewhere.

And, they've got some fancy stuff in there :).

I learned a good amount of how to get started from the DX SDK tutorials. But the samples they had were really hard to learn from because they much larger projects and not too much documentation. They did have some nice effects though.

I almost forgot about one of my favorite pages. Its not a tutorial or DirectX related, but it goes over some of the concepts currently being used in the industry. If you have played the PS2 title Shadow of the Colossus, it is one of the most beautiful games I've seen in a while. This page goes over the rendering techniques used, the physics, and the collision detection in a good amount of detail.

The Making of SOTC

I used to read lots of tutorials, especially the ones hosted by GDNet [wink]

These days I mostly read through articles, research papers and conference material (ATI, Nvidia, GDC, Meltdown, SIGGRAPH).

Also, just lurking in various forums is a good way of learning stuff. Just have a read through some threads and see how other people are tackling problems, might just give you a new idea (or help you solve a future problem)...

cheers,
Jack

This topic is 4260 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.