Sign in to follow this  
TFS_Waldo

[.net] VS .NET 2003 To VS .NET 2005??

Hey, everyone. This is a simple question, I know. But I am not sure how this will work. I just purchased Visual Studio .NET 2005 Pro, and I currently have VS .NET 2003 Pro. Some friends and I all chipped in to purchase it. And yes, it IS a perfectly legal copy. =) Well, do I have to uninstall 2003, or can I install 2005 over the previous version? I currently have 2003 installed along with VS 6.0 Enterprise. And what about the DX SDK. Would I have to re-install it (DX 9 SDK Dec. 2004), or will 2005 pick it up?

I'd recommend uninstalling just to be safe. I had MAJOR issues going from VC6 to 2K3 so I'll never just install over top again like that. This is just my experience but why risk it? :)

I'm not sure why you had problems with 2003 over 6.0. I did the same thing, and I was still capable of using BOTH products. Oh well. I'm installing now. Thanks. =)

I finally got Visual Studio .NET 2005 installed. And I installed over VS .NET 2003. It works just fine. I built and tested a couple simple applications (Win32 Console and C#) and they worked. So everything went well. =)

We use both 2003 and 2005 where I work (for different projects) so I can attest that 2005 does install side-by-side with 2003 correctly.

It might be worth nothing that I had trouble installing Sql Server 2005 alongside Sql Server 2000. It seems that I didn't choose a custom service name when I installed it, so it stepped all over my 2000 service. I have yet to get it fixed. (Note that this doesn't apply to people not using Sql Server. There we're absolutely no problems with .NET 2.0, VS 2005, new MSDN, etc...)

EDIT - Just wanted to make it clear, I know it was my error during the install that caused the problem. But wanted to help other people pay attention and make sure when they install Sql Server 2005 they use a different service than their Sql Server 2000 one (seems obvious, but it was the only step where forgetting to set a custom value caused trouble - and I missed it).

[Edited by - Xai on April 17, 2006 8:04:51 AM]

At work we are using VS 6, VS 2003 and VS 2005 side by side and NEVER had any problems by doing so.
The only requirement is that you install them in the oldest first order.

P.S. We are also running SQL Server 2000 ,MSDE RelA , SQL Server 2005 and SQL Express :) and still no isues, the condition here is same, keep the instalation order the same as the product order.

Same here.

Install order:

Visual Studio 6 Enterprise Edition
Visual Studio 2002
Visual Studio 2003
Visual Studio 2005

The Visual Studio products have to exist side by side now as each version is meant to work with a specific version of the Framework. 2002 = 1.0, 2003 = 1.1, 2005 = 2.0. You can't produce a 1.1 product in 2005 without major gyrations.

I had difficulties with SQL Server as well, but that's my own laziness. I shouldn't have let VS2K5 install SQL Server Express. The "full" option is just... convenient. ;P