Sign in to follow this  
Cornstalks

Whats the Prefered 3D Format??

I've been working with 3D things for a long time, but now I want to actually write a loader to load 3D objects. I just don't know what's a good way to store the object data. Do people usually use a file format (like the .X format) and keep that as their data format in their program? Or do they usually write their own format and then convert everything into that? I'm just trying to stick with programming standards here, so if you know of any I'd be greatful to hear them. Also, any tutorials or good websites you know of I'd enjoy, I've nearly googled myself to death. Thanks

Its completely up to you. There are MD2 loaders that some games implement. Its much easier to load a .x model using directx functions. Its a lot harder to load animations and bone structures from a model. Its just a matter of knowing what you are trying to accomplish. I would do whatever is easiest that accomplishes the goal. Before you publish/release what you are working on, you will probably want to encode your files so that no one can mess with them.