It's deprecated. So what?

Started by
22 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 18 years ago
Even though DirectDraw has been deprecated since version 8, does it still exist in version 9? Can a DirectDraw program compile with the DX9 SDK? Thanks for any replies.
A JPEG is worth a thousand and twenty four DWORD's. ;)
Note: Due to vacationing my website will not be updated till late-August. Of course I still have internet, but who wants to program during a vacation?
Advertisement
Yes, but why would you want to use it? Its such a pain and everything it can do can be done much more easily in Direct3D.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Quote:Original post by ussnewjersey4
Yes, but why would you want to use it? Its such a pain and everything it can do can be done much more easily in Direct3D.

You could be targetting people who don't have a nuclear plant for a graphics cards, for one thing. That's probably the majority of PC owners and of casual gamers. :-)

Hope this helps.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You could be targetting people who don't have a nuclear plant for a graphics cards, for one thing. That's probably the majority of PC owners and of casual gamers. :-)

Hope this helps.

If my 500Mhz with 64MB of RAM and raging power of 8MB of shared video memory can run MechWarrior 3, I can pretty much bet that it'll run a 2D game made with Direct3D.

If they're using less than that, well.
Well, seeings one of my computers has a card(geforce 2 mx) that is so old that it isn't even officially supported anymore, and yet can still run Direct3D applications fine, I don't see what you're point is. A Geforce 4200 currently can be found for $20, and it would be plenty to run casual games.
I don't think you can buy a computer that won't run Direct3D anymore. Maybe not well, but for only a 2D app, I think it will get by.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Hope this helps.

HAHa...

Although I dont think I want anything nuclear thats integrated with Windows... The thought of having to SCRAM my graphics card and constantly perform a Fast Recovery Startup just to play a few hours of HL2 would be very stressful.

"C and C++ programmers seem to think that the shortest distance between two points is the great circle route on a spherical distortion of Euclidean space."Stephen Dewhurst
Most people who actually intend to play games (apart from hearts, solitaire, ect.), will own a computer capable of running DirectX 9. The other reason most people will reccommend you use Direct3D for your 2D work, is because it not only lets you do things that in DirectDraw would have been very difficult (rotating things comes to mind), but it also gets you some practice with Direct3D, which you will appreciate if/when you move onto more complex projects.
Quote:Original post by Liam M
[snip] it not only lets you do things that in DirectDraw would have been very difficult (rotating things comes to mind), but it also gets you some practice with Direct3D, which you will appreciate if/when you move onto more complex projects.

If rotating in 2D is difficult, I'm sure you will appreciate the learning experience if/when you move onto more complex projects. Then there's the whole discussion regarding the definition of "complex". :)

/ DragonL
(Yes, I'm too lazy to create a forum account.)
Quote:Original post by Liam M
Most people who actually intend to play games (apart from hearts, solitaire, ect.), will own a computer capable of running DirectX 9. The other reason most people will reccommend you use Direct3D for your 2D work, is because it not only lets you do things that in DirectDraw would have been very difficult (rotating things comes to mind), but it also gets you some practice with Direct3D, which you will appreciate if/when you move onto more complex projects.

I was actually thinking of the solitaire/card games players who play on their office break, or even online poker players and the such. That's what I meant with "casual". If it isn't the correct term, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that D3D is "bad", just that programmers should know their target audience.

Hope this helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement