• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
geekalert

It's deprecated. So what?

This topic is 4478 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by wild_pointer
I know what you're bitching about, Vampyre, but you picked the wrong thread to make your stand.

I agree with Vampyre too, however the battle has in turn derailed the OP's post.

Yes, you can still use DirectX 7. I have actually been working on a game for 2 years now using DirectX 7 and the win32 api. Why? Because I simply wanted to learn directdraw.

I have in turn learned many things from taking the backward step. There are still some things that are just easier using DirectDraw (Video Editing, and direct editing of pixels on surfaces comes to mind).

If you intend to work with graphics for a living, there are still many legacy apps being maintained which use Directdraw.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
OP,

johncurranm said it would work in DX9. However, there are 2 things that could happen in a future release of DirectX. 1.) MS will stop supporting it. which is not a huge deal at least it will be included but Video card manufactures may stop releasing hardware to support it and you are dead in the water. 2.) MS may stop releasing Direct Draw in its DX10 11, 12, 13, etc runtimes which may cause more trouble for you when your program will not run anymore.

With all of that in mind. It may be wise to convert over to Direct3D now and use a 2d viewport to save all of the headaches in the future.

Quote:
Original post by __ODIN__
- However, it gets pretty painfull because MS has surgically removed any actual documentation from MSDN...

Untrue. Go to the first result of a google search for "site:msdn.microsoft.com directdraw".

Quote:
Original post by bakery2k1
Quote:
Original post by __ODIN__
- However, it gets pretty painfull because MS has surgically removed any actual documentation from MSDN...

Untrue. Go to the first result of a google search for "site:msdn.microsoft.com directdraw".

even better: site:msdn.microsoft.com/archive directdraw

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!