D3DXCreateFont doesn't exist

Started by
6 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years ago
I've come across a weird error. I went back to my project today, completely unchanged from the last time I ran it, and I was told I needed to recompile. So, I did and it now tells me that the D3DXCreateFont() function is unresolved. I've checked and the right library files are included ( d3dx9.lib ), and this error crops up for no other DirectX methods. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? Btw I'm using DX9c with Visual Studio 2005.
Advertisement
Check that your include paths are set up correctly in the compiler. It sounds like the compiler is getting an old version of the D3DX library. What version of the DX 9.0c SDK have you go installed? There's about 10 of them [smile]
That's what I thought, but I haven't changed version since the last time I compiled. I think my version is the February 2005 version. I know there was an October update but I haven't managed to get that one yet.
The Feb 2005 version is pretty old, I'd recommend upgrading to the latest version (April 2006). There's a link in a sticky in this forum.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
The Feb 2005 version is pretty old, I'd recommend upgrading to the latest version (April 2006). There's a link in a sticky in this forum.

Yea, it could be a compatability issue with the libraries you are linking against, since they were made far before the retail VS2005 was released.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I found a solution, but it's a little weird. There's a folder called x86 in the lib folder and I copied the d3dx9.lib from there into the main folder. seems to have it sorted. I think you're right though. It's time to upgrade. If only I wasn't still on a modem...
I really should get with the times!
Sounds like either the SDK wasn't installed properly, or the paths were changed for some reason. If that one .lib is behaving oddly, it's entirely possible that there's others that are too.

It's still worthwhile getting the latest SDK, even on dialup if you leave it going overnight or something (Or use a download resumer). 390.2MB should take you about 24 hours to download (24.65 hours assuming 4.5K/sec), which is 3 days at 8 hours a day (If you're using a download resumer).

Anyone know if it's possible to get the SDK on CD? That might be easier...
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Anyone know if it's possible to get the SDK on CD? That might be easier...
I'm pretty sure they stopped doing that a couple of years ago. The last one I managed to get on CD was 9.0.

MSDN subscriptions obviously provide it in CD/DVD form, but they aren't cheap [wink]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement