Quick Question

Started by
4 comments, last by pascalosti 18 years ago
Is it normal to feel a little overwhelmed when making the leap from standard console application programming to Win32/OpenGL/DirectX programming? Am I right too assume that this is something that is just going to take some time to feel comfortable with? (as far as memorization, technique, application).
Advertisement
Oh hell yes, when I switched from the console to Win32 I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I was the code copy king. Don't worry, The important thing is to know the language well first, and to always start with the basics of whatever you are trying to learn (Win32/OpenGL/DirectX), and always experiment with what you are learning. Eventually, with enough experimentation and practice, you will learn what each individual part does, and you will be more confident with what you are doing.
Yeah, the jump is prety tough. Just start off small and work your way up. Make sure you are familiar with all the delegates and intricacies of the language before going to far.
In console, you just start coding. The only graphics you have are printf and cout. When you make the switch to win32, you'll need to startup the window, then you have a plethora of graphic options. I would suggest not worrying about the windows setup for now. Just copy source code for starting up the window and destroying it on close. Its not entirely necessary that you understand the window creation options at this point. Once you feel comfortable with win32, then you can modify how your window borders look, the toolbar and menus, etc.
-------Harmotion - Free 1v1 top-down shooter!Double Jump StudiosBlog
When I switched over I just coded the same code over and over again until I knew what everything did. Then I made different things. The best way to learn is just to do it. Make lots and lots of programs!
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
i hear you, im in the same situation. Im starting with sdl which is not so overwhelming, and there are many great tutorials out there.
Reading some of the more advanced stuff can be really discouraging.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement