A person who is lost.

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years ago
This may sound really odd and perhaps im not thinking about what im saying at 2am. See I cant seem to see where im going. Since I was 14 I knew i wanted to work in game design. I wanted to tranform the great idea's in my head into working software. At first I thought that if I learned to program that would help me. It did not as I soon realized that this would likly put me under the person who was making the idea's and infact id be making his game.. not mine. I do not have any grand plan to make the next hit game or any idea's where im going to start. I do not know where to go for an education or what job title it is I want to pursue. Maybe im just freaking out but im 2 months away from college and I dont even have a college flier or anything in my hand. So far my plans to date are to work for the next 4 years while taking part time classes somewhere and in 4 years I should have a solid base of money saved up to buy a small place and open an internet cafe (wich are rare and in demand in my area). In my spare time id like to try and grow and open a game development studio with the skills ill hopefully obtian from some college that I dont know exists... Im really starting to freak out where im sitting becuase my future looks so uncertian.. Maybe im just lacking sleep. Well sorry to bother you with my random 2am thoughts. Will be 18 in a few months and im just worried bout stuff.
Advertisement
You must think and gather informatation. What do you want? What do you like? Do you truly? How will you get there? Why? Think long and hard and in a notebook make lists. In areas you whose information you are unsure of, areas where you lack knowledge of what shape things take, look things up. Search this site, search google. Think and discuss your ponderings with people who know you, your capabilities, and care for your future. Listen to them if they will listen to you.Weigh Then decide yourself.

Keep in mind as you work as well that nothing is ever truly set in stone.

:)
I'm a little confused at what you plan to do. Are you going to work while taking part-time college classes for 4 years, then open an Internet cafe? I highly doubt you will be able to save up a good amount of money while taking classes. Also, if you only take part-time classes, you won't get a degree. So why take the classes?

I hate to tell you, but the job you want is not exactly a job that is open. There isn't a degree from any college in game design. And the worst part is simple economics: supply and demand. Everybody wants to make games, nobody wants to (or has the skill to) program and draw art. Designing games is the easy part, and sadly the most fun.

The only sure-fire way to design games is to open your own studio and start making them. That is basically the boat I'm in. I am about to graduate from Digipen, and instead of getting a job, some friends of mine started up our own studio with a producer from a company that shall remain nameless. He handles all of the non-code related tasks, we coders handle the code, and we all work on the game design together.

The only way to get into the industry is to either become the industry (start your own company) or sneak in the back door. Like I said before, there is no game design major. You could try getting some sort of human resources degree and work at a game company; then try to work your way up to some producer/designer status. Its not easy, and I'm not suggesting you try, but thats how at least one of the teachers at my school got into the industry (*cough* with no technical experience). Its not the nicest industry. If I were you, I'd get a degree in something and open up your Internet cafe. The degree is a back up plan; its hard to get respect now-a-days without one.

Good luck in whatever you do.
-------Harmotion - Free 1v1 top-down shooter!Double Jump StudiosBlog
Well actualy ive landed a job that pays roughly 22us an hour, My school is paid for and im getting 900us a month for living costs also wich im going to use to buy rather than rent in hopes that I can eventualy sell th house too.

The local college near my house is developing some sorta program thats supost to teach you a little about everything related to the creation of a game. Im not sure if a new program like this will actualy help or not but aparently this programs been thought out for the last 3 years..

Im planning on opening the internet cafe with a bunch of my friends who programmers/animators (noone knows hw to model >.>). I cant really just open a game design studio right away becuase there wouldnt be any income coming in for many years and if the first project fails.. there goes the studio.
"Since I was 14 I knew i wanted to work in game design. I wanted to tranform the great idea's in my head into working software. At first I thought that if I learned to program that would help me. It did not as I soon realized that this would likly put me under the person who was making the idea's and infact id be making his game.. not mine."

What I do (currently) is do this at work, but also make my own freeware at home in order to continue making my own games, experimenting with projects that I couldn't do at work. Work is fun, but it's the moneymaker. My "real" games are done at home. :)

I hope to use these as a portfolio to later get more of my own projects at work as well.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

I wished I had the link to the interview, but from what I remember, the orginal designer of the Sims games was a programmer which was toying with the idea of a virtual "doll house" for his daughter. He either had a small working demo or was still on paper when he took this to his employer, Maxis, and they started working on it, and it evolved into "The Sims". This interview may have been on the bonus disk that came with Sims 2. I am not sure.

So whatever you do, it is never too late to have your own game designs being programed by you and your peers at the company that you work for. Graunted, the company needs to develop games, etc.

In terms of acting. There have been many television shows that the actors get a chance to write the scripts and direct for the show, even though they are not really script writers or directors.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement