Sign in to follow this  
DarkRage

What to learn?

DarkRage    122
First post, great forum!!! Yes, I guess it has been asked before like a thousand times, but I don't find the right answer, so thank you for any advice. I loved programming when I started like almost 20 years ago. I loved spending the nights with assembly code for the MSX when I was only 13, or accessing directly to the VGA registers. Great times. What to study was a no brainer in my situation. Today, after becaming a computer engineer in the University long time ago, and being hired for a big IT consultancy company I should be happy. Anyway, it has been a successful career, becoming a project supervisor with several projects and 60 employees working on IT. But I am bored to death with that work, and I miss the good times being challenged by the problem. Now everything is Powerpoint, Word, financial exercises... Last C++ sentence was several years ago, and a telecom's billing system is not funny either. For the last years I have been spending some time in reading and learning basic topics on game programming. Yes, I love gaming. And I love AI too. Now I have decided it is time to spend more time with my "hobbies", and spend a couple of hours every day on it, not some reading from time to time. If I like it enough I could consider my professional options, even with less money. But I don't know what to learn. I am aware that nowadays the best option is probably C++ with DX9. However, times are changing, and maybe it makes more sense going with managed DX9, or DX10, or C#, or all of them. I would prefer to start with the "next wave" You can assume I have a strong technical background, a little bit rusty, but with C++ for example, or some detailed knowledge how hardware works. Sorry for the long history, but any idea or recomendation would be welcomed. Thanks,

senelebe    100
While the 'which language' angle has been beaten to death and surely needs no more comment, you might look into XNA if you want the latest and greatest...

www.microsoft.com/xna/faq.aspx

If MS has their way, and they usually do, this will be the next phase of game dev. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

DarkRage    122
Thanks for your opinions.

C# then (I looked at it 3 months ago when VS2005 was released and I really liked it).

Maybe these questions should go to the DX subforum, but as it is very beginner level:
- DX10 can be used only with the Vista Beta, right?
- Can I use DX10 with C# or DX10 is only for C++ right now?
- What hardware are you using to run DX10? As there is no hardware available at the moment, if for example I want to start using Geometry Shaders, is it possible? Is there a wrapper or emulator running on?