Sign in to follow this  

Render Targets - locking and unlocking - giving a new surface

This topic is 4259 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm using a render target texture. I read the documentation and it said I wasn't allowed to lock textures what we render targets, so instead I use CreateOffscreenPlainSurface, and get the surface off the texture, use GetRenderTargetData to transfer the memory over, and i lock the offscreen surface and i can successfully access all the pixels :) It works a treat! However..I cannot modify the pixels...because its not on the same surface as the render target. Is there a way of reapplying the new pixels on this offscreen surface so I can modify the render target texture ? I just cant think of a way of using the surface at all....there doesn't seem to be any functions that let u give surfaces to textures. Any ideas :) ? Thanks

Why are you trying to do that? I can't think of any situation that you'd need to lock a render target, aside from doing screenshots. And if that's the case, you can use StretchRect to copy to another surface.

IDirect3DDevice9::UpdateSurface() should do the trick - it'll copy from an offscreen surface in D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM to a render target texture in D3DPOOL_DEFAULT.

Although, as Steve pointed out - it's highly unlikely to be a fast operation [wink]

hth
Jack

This topic is 4259 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.