Sign in to follow this  
Basiror

Data Management Design, your thoughts?

Hi, I wanted to implement a new way of handling data in my 3d editor, before I worked with a huge and pretty complex mesh class that shall have done all the work for me however this resulted in a huge amount of code because i kept everything pretty general. Now my new design is very object oriented. I have a class that represents the vertices, one that represents the triangles and one that represents the meshes Their definitions look like this:
class vertex
	{
	private:
		cross::vector3d		m_vecPos;
		cross::vector3d		m_vecNormal;
		cross::vector3d		m_vecTexCoords[MAX_TEXCOORDS];
	};
class triangle
	{
        private:
		uint32			m_uiIndex;
		uint32			m_uiShader;
		vertex			m_Vertices[3];
	};
typedef std::pair< uint32, uint32 >	VertexID;
	typedef std::list< triangle >		TriangleList;
	typedef std::vector< VertexID >		VertexIndexArray;
	typedef std::list< VertexIndexArray > VertexIndex;

class mesh
	{
	private:

TriangleList	m_Triangles;
		VertexIndex		m_VertexIndex;
	};

Now since you have vertices that are shared by several triangles of a mesh I decided to introduce a VertexIndex. Each vertex's index is inserted into the proper VertexIndexArray, where each VertexIndexArray stores the indices (Triangle,VertexNo.) of those vertices that are shared between triangles. Here is a data dump of a example mesh:
mesh  {
	triangle 0 {
		vertex (1,0,0)
		vertex (0,1,0)
		vertex (0,2,0)
	}
	triangle 1 {
		vertex (1,0,0)
		vertex (0,2,0)
		vertex (1,2,0)
	}
	triangle 2 {
		vertex (1,0,0)
		vertex (1,2,0)
		vertex (2,2,0)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(0,0)(1,0)(2,0)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(0,1)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(0,2)(1,1)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(1,2)(2,1)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(2,2)
	}
}

Pros.: - easy storage mechanism - low development time - easy vertex selection ( array of vertex indices(mesh,triange,vertexNo.)) - less error prone on the long run Cons.: - additional overhead for vertex access - redundant storage of data I choose this storage way, since it is a really simple way. Other 3d editors like GTKRadiant store them in a similar fashing however they have independent ways for brush base geometry and patch based geometry, which results in more code to be written. My design for example allows: - flipping of triangles that share and edge. - easy and quick vertex normal generation - elemination of individual triangles - additional properties via multiple inheritance Now what do you think about this design, any flaws I didn t realize? It might be a little more memory comsuming and fragmenting, but this can be solved with a pooled allocator later on