Sign in to follow this  

Data Management Design, your thoughts?

This topic is 4256 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I wanted to implement a new way of handling data in my 3d editor, before I worked with a huge and pretty complex mesh class that shall have done all the work for me however this resulted in a huge amount of code because i kept everything pretty general. Now my new design is very object oriented. I have a class that represents the vertices, one that represents the triangles and one that represents the meshes Their definitions look like this:
class vertex
	{
	private:
		cross::vector3d		m_vecPos;
		cross::vector3d		m_vecNormal;
		cross::vector3d		m_vecTexCoords[MAX_TEXCOORDS];
	};
class triangle
	{
        private:
		uint32			m_uiIndex;
		uint32			m_uiShader;
		vertex			m_Vertices[3];
	};
typedef std::pair< uint32, uint32 >	VertexID;
	typedef std::list< triangle >		TriangleList;
	typedef std::vector< VertexID >		VertexIndexArray;
	typedef std::list< VertexIndexArray > VertexIndex;

class mesh
	{
	private:

TriangleList	m_Triangles;
		VertexIndex		m_VertexIndex;
	};

Now since you have vertices that are shared by several triangles of a mesh I decided to introduce a VertexIndex. Each vertex's index is inserted into the proper VertexIndexArray, where each VertexIndexArray stores the indices (Triangle,VertexNo.) of those vertices that are shared between triangles. Here is a data dump of a example mesh:
mesh  {
	triangle 0 {
		vertex (1,0,0)
		vertex (0,1,0)
		vertex (0,2,0)
	}
	triangle 1 {
		vertex (1,0,0)
		vertex (0,2,0)
		vertex (1,2,0)
	}
	triangle 2 {
		vertex (1,0,0)
		vertex (1,2,0)
		vertex (2,2,0)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(0,0)(1,0)(2,0)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(0,1)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(0,2)(1,1)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(1,2)(2,1)
	}
	vertexindex {
	(2,2)
	}
}

Pros.: - easy storage mechanism - low development time - easy vertex selection ( array of vertex indices(mesh,triange,vertexNo.)) - less error prone on the long run Cons.: - additional overhead for vertex access - redundant storage of data I choose this storage way, since it is a really simple way. Other 3d editors like GTKRadiant store them in a similar fashing however they have independent ways for brush base geometry and patch based geometry, which results in more code to be written. My design for example allows: - flipping of triangles that share and edge. - easy and quick vertex normal generation - elemination of individual triangles - additional properties via multiple inheritance Now what do you think about this design, any flaws I didn t realize? It might be a little more memory comsuming and fragmenting, but this can be solved with a pooled allocator later on

This topic is 4256 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.