Sign in to follow this  
Quaid Tseng

Pros using DXUT callback functions than regular D3D?

Quaid Tseng    123
Tutors at DXSDK or nvidia are mostly right in DXUT and looks like: DXUTSetCallbackDeviceCreated(GUI::OnCreateDevice); DXUTSetCallbackDeviceDestroyed(GUI::OnDestroyDevice); DXUTSetCallbackDeviceReset(GUI::OnResetDevice); DXUTSetCallbackDeviceLost(GUI::OnLostDevice); DXUTSetCallbackMsgProc(GUI::MsgProc); DXUTSetCallbackMouse(GUI::Mouse, true); DXUTSetCallbackKeyboard(GUI::KeyboardProc); DXUTSetCallbackFrameRender(GUI::OnFrameRender); DXUTSetCallbackFrameMove(GUI::OnFrameMove); So why use those callback function? Faster? Or some pros? I feel that the regular D3D functions are simpler ^^. Thanks~

jollyjeffers    1570
The DXUT framework is simply that - a framework to make developing the average game/sample/tutorial easier.

It's not really there to be any faster, its there as a convenience so you can get straight to writing the application rather than writing loads of boiler-plate code before you can consider writing anything useful. It also has the advantage that it is a tested framework - so you can rely on it's functionality from the beginning. If you write your own version every time you'll need to test and verify it...

If you think you can write a better/faster/simpler framework then go for it [smile]

I have a big project that doesn't suit the DXUT framework very well, so I use my own code instead...

hth
Jack