Sign in to follow this  
Quaid Tseng

Pros using DXUT callback functions than regular D3D?

Tutors at DXSDK or nvidia are mostly right in DXUT and looks like: DXUTSetCallbackDeviceCreated(GUI::OnCreateDevice); DXUTSetCallbackDeviceDestroyed(GUI::OnDestroyDevice); DXUTSetCallbackDeviceReset(GUI::OnResetDevice); DXUTSetCallbackDeviceLost(GUI::OnLostDevice); DXUTSetCallbackMsgProc(GUI::MsgProc); DXUTSetCallbackMouse(GUI::Mouse, true); DXUTSetCallbackKeyboard(GUI::KeyboardProc); DXUTSetCallbackFrameRender(GUI::OnFrameRender); DXUTSetCallbackFrameMove(GUI::OnFrameMove); So why use those callback function? Faster? Or some pros? I feel that the regular D3D functions are simpler ^^. Thanks~

The DXUT framework is simply that - a framework to make developing the average game/sample/tutorial easier.

It's not really there to be any faster, its there as a convenience so you can get straight to writing the application rather than writing loads of boiler-plate code before you can consider writing anything useful. It also has the advantage that it is a tested framework - so you can rely on it's functionality from the beginning. If you write your own version every time you'll need to test and verify it...

If you think you can write a better/faster/simpler framework then go for it [smile]

I have a big project that doesn't suit the DXUT framework very well, so I use my own code instead...

hth
Jack