about prediction (for a FPS)

Started by
3 comments, last by Ozymandias42 18 years ago
Hi, Just to be sure : Suppose I use client(s)/server paradigm for a FPS game and I want to implement a form of client-side prediction (dead reckoning). Say that we can have the server and a client on the same host (computer). This client doesn't need prediction, right ? Thank you very much, dav
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by bob242
Hi,

Just to be sure :

Suppose I use client(s)/server paradigm for a FPS game and I want to implement a form of client-side prediction (dead reckoning).
Say that we can have the server and a client on the same host (computer). This client doesn't need prediction, right ?

Thank you very much, dav

You would expect that the client being on the same computer would mean minimal latentcy.

However, if your server sends data at a certain tickrate, and the client is allowed draw as fast as possible, you might as well leave in any code you have, it will probably smoothen the animation...
In that position, the client shouldn't need prediction, no. However, if your client has prediction code in it anyway, it seems silly to disable it under such circumstances; it can only help :).
Thank you rip-off, thank you Bob Janova !
Quote:Original post by Bob Janova
In that position, the client shouldn't need prediction, no. However, if your client has prediction code in it anyway, it seems silly to disable it under such circumstances; it can only help :).

With the exception of the case where it is a listen server. If your local client is the same program as the server, and you're reading from the server's game state, then no, there's no need for prediction. If they're seperate programs, then you may as well leave it on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement