Sign in to follow this  
EmperorMike

Another Noob ?

Just out of the blue. I have been pondering this question for some time. How is a game composed? I know you need a programming laguage, but are there any more programes you have to encourperate into your program? One thing I think I want to know is what makes a game into a game? -Thanks-

A game is not directly related to programming, in many ways. Remember there are board games, games outdoors, word games ... many computer games draw from the same ideas (or are direct transcriptions, look at all the football and card games on computers). A game is some form of interactive entertainment, basically.

However, since you're on here I'm going to assume you mean a computer game ;). Okay, so there are three parts (imho): game design, program design and coding. Game design is when you're working out roughly what it is the game will do – what genre (if applicable), characters you may need, ideas about player movement and interaction with the world, and so on. Once you've got a basic idea of that, you move onto program design – working out which bits of the game map to obvious code blocks, and generally splitting your game design up into bite-size chunks. After that comes (in an ideal world) coding, where you write the code for each module and stick it together. And finally, of course, multi-million user sales and success (yeah, right!) ...

Of course, this isn't the ideal world, and at times in the coding section you'll have to go back and redesign sections of your program. And while progressing you'll think of things to add to the game design, too, and those have to be fed back through the process.

Notice that most of the difficulty is in design, for which you don't need a programming language at all (although the choice of language will affect program design, as different languages have different features). Only for coding do you need to know a language and various APIs.

I hope that helps – I'm not quite sure what you were asking for, to be honest.