RTS/MMO

Started by
9 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 12 months ago
First off, I'm not too sure if this is the place for this first post, I've read a couple stickys and stuff.. and I've been to other threads, but, I guess I wanted to post my idea's/discussion here. And..Hello Gamedev.net, I'm ViolentL :) Anyways.. I wanted to talk about a new RTS/MMORPG Sci-fi/Fantasy game, I've got alot of the techtree and the beginnings of a 'sample' storyline written up. ..And I want to poll what you guys might think about having a new maybe.. indie MMRPG come out, or.. first off having a RTS to back it up. I call it Star Empire: Factions.. because it basically has the classic storyline of a sci-fi space game.. slightly similar to blizzard's title starcraft but alot different.. basically I want to make a new RTS game that will blow starcraft outta the water.. and take over the sci-fi space rts market.. right now I think the only games orientated to that side would be starwar's series of game genres and the blizz's infamous starcraft...along with the old 2d Master of Orion series which Im a huge fan of. But, the main thing I saw with MoO3 is that it's slightly too complex as well as civ4.. It's easy to get into it once you do, but I was thinking of having something alot more simpler than that for a RTS. basic gathering of resources and building a base in the virtual world.. having a storlyine with twists.. ..Was wanting to ask what anyone else thinks about making/creating/devving a new RTS space game and maybe eventually making a MMO out of the storyline of that. maybe rpg like set on one of the main homeworlds in the RTS game. something not as focused on space exploration / domination and more-so on adventuring, after that. or.. do it vice versa.. Ideas? anyone? :) -ViolentL p.s. Btw I have a text with sample storyline, including most of the unit designs and a techtree for building and a couple ship upgrades. The only things left I foresee having is a techtree for the ship designs on the rts, having a good storyline editor or three. :P and making the game engine.. maybe one more graphically intensive than most other indie's I've seen. Basically I'm into concept design, with limited knowledge of programming/sales rep.. but I'm fairly decent at photoshop and art. and with pencil and paper I'm ~stresses~ really well. I just need a crew to get it started and dedicated.. its hard finding real talent in the areas im looking for though, as most folks are generally hired and don't look into making a fun rts/mmrpg on their own team/crew. Looking for criticism/positive feedback!! [Edited by - ViolentL on April 17, 2006 7:35:14 PM]
Advertisement
Are you asking for design critique or for help making the project?

-me
Well both, I just want to get my idea for a new RTS space game out and maybe along with the concept of expansion / future dev of a massively multiplayer (FREE) Rpg version of the storyline, right now, mainly looking for some talented writers + a good programmer/artist.. Im good on paper.. but i need someone that can do 3d art in maya/lightwave/3dsmax and I can even help with texturing etc. maybe looking for a crew that will even accept the concept.

but for now, just sorta polling what everyone thinks of having it actually be feasible to dev it.
Actually While I was thinking this up, I had another idea, Why not simply get a few people to help me make a Total Conversion Mod pack for Starcraft or Warcraft 3/tft, Would that not be simpler to start out with? Rather than going and producing a isometric engine + all the complexities that would come with Having to produce all of the graphics+engine/core/source code.
Quote:Original post by ViolentL
...Why not simply get a few people to help me make a Total Conversion Mod pack for Starcraft or Warcraft 3/tft, Would that not be simpler to start out with?

Simpler, yes. Simple, No.
Doing a mod is certainly the best way to go with a first project but be prepared for lots of hard work and disappointment. Check out the Help Wanted forum to see how many people are looking for help to get their idea made (as opposed to people looking to help make someone else's game). Also Google up a few mod related sites and see how many dead projects there are compared to finished one. Getting people started on a mod (tough though that is) is a million times easier than keeping the team together until the mod is actually finished.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
>.> O.o

Another MMO thread...
All my posts are based on a setting of Medival Fantasy, unless stated in the post otherwise
Quote:Original post by lightblade
>.> O.o

Another MMO thread...

Did you have anything useful to contribute?
i'd love to help -- i PMed you.
You're looking at a wanna-be right now :P
ViolentL,

It seems that you have a great deal of enthusiasm, but unfortunately it seems that you lack focus. You first introduced the idea that you are interested in pursuing an original sci-fi/fantasy game concept but in a later post say that you are also considering doing a StarCraft mod. Both are potentially interesting ventures, but if you want to inspire people with your ideas and compel them to work with you then you really need to concentrate on one idea and present it with unwavering confidence. If you're willing to compromise your original directive on a whim then others may get the impression that you're not entirely dedicated or confident with your concept. I'm not saying that this is the case. This is just something that you may want to be aware of.

I too have a very similar project in mind that I've been working on for several years now. It would be insufficient to state that my venture is limited to just one game since I've actually been developing a franchise that will encompass several mediums including books and various game types. Some elements of the world, characters, and story for my project have been in thought and development for over 11 years now. However, the inception of the franchise on the game front is in the form of an action/RTS game with some RPG elements. The franchise itself also falls under the realm of science fiction so it seems that the overall game concept between our projects are similar.

The other likeness that I see between our projects is the idea of eventually expanding the franchise into an MMO down the road. I think this is a more practical approach when original IP is being introduced, because breaking into the MMO market is extremely difficult without having a franchise or a name to build upon. Most experienced professional in the game industry would probably advise new developers to not choose an MMO as a first game project because of the amount of resources required to compete with existing and well known IP's. It's also a very saturated market since everyone and their dog these days wants to make an MMO or MMORPG.

If you feel that you're approaching the point in the project where you want to start recruiting artists and programmers for the development team then I would strongly suggest setting up a professional looking website that you can use to present the project concept, mission statement, premise/story overview, and any art that would show off the game's potential. Basically, if you want to get people excited about that game you need to give them something they can look at. Detailed explanations are nice too, but there are so many ideas floating around that people usually need either art or working code to get them excited about a game project or mod. When you do describe your concept though you want to make everything as clear as possible. As far as story is concerned I would only provide the general premise and underlying themes and leave key events and details out. Afterall, when the project is eventually completed you don't want to dissapoint your players with spoilers.

As for me, I think I'm still a long way off before I can consider starting a studio or recruiting for a team. I actually have a unique business model that I'm selfishly going to keep to myself that I hope will play out over the next 5 years. =) However, if you feel that you're ready to get your hands dirty then I wish you the best of luck.

BTW, if you would like any critiques of artwork you've done so far I would be willing to look at your work and give you suggestions. I'm currently a technical artist for Liquid Development located in Portland, Oregon. We assist with game assets for several of the largest developers and publishers in the game industry. Right now I'm working on several assets and world building for a PS3 title. I can't say what it is because of my NDA (Some of our clients don't want the rest of the world to know that they use contractors on their games). Anyway, I'd be able to give you a professional opinion and hopefully some good direction.
It sounds like you want to follow blizzards model. Make a sweet RTS, then expand it into a mmo. Sound like WoW? Personally, your idea for a simple sci-fi RTS got me quite excited. Your saying it might be best to start with either a starcraft mod or warcraft3 mod made it seem more practical. I would say refocus on making a mod with your story and see where it goes from there. That should be quite enough for you to occupy your time with for a while.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement