Sign in to follow this  

Game mods

This topic is 4259 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all. I joined a while ago, and have not used my profile for a while, and consequently, forgotten all I have learnt. Over the past few days though, I came across my old plans for a game, and also my password. My main problem is this: I have a fantastic *I hope* idea in my head, and no way to make it. I have absolutely no programming experience, except on how to make extremely basic things in C++. I have also heard the easiest thing to start off in was to mod a game, and was wondering: a)If it's easier? b)What is the best way to go about it? The game I would like to mod is called "Freelancer" by Microsoft. I need guidance on this thing, because I am lost, and keep getting mixed replies from my friend (who has programming and mod experience)

It depends what you mean by easier. If you're comparing making the game from scratch to modding a similar game so it does what you want, doing the mod is almost certainly easier. However it can still be quite difficult especially if you want to do some major modifications.

Quote:
What is the best way to go about it

Go find resources and tools releated to modding the game you want to mod and then just start playing around with them and seeing what you can do.

I don't know anything about modding but the Coding4fun section on Microsoft's website has a section with a bunch of links for modding Half-Life2 (just to get you started). Of course, you have to buy HL2 to get the source code.

Quote:
Original post by DigiDude
Of course, you have to buy HL2 to get the source code.

lol, even if I had enough money to buy that, it wouldn't work on my pc :P But even then, I've had difficulty finding any broad modding tips. Most search results have game-specific titles to them, and I feel they can't help because they edit specific points in their respective games. Please point me out if I'm wrong. And yes, some of the mods are going to be rather drastic. I am working on posting the ideas in my site: http://www.freewebs.com/kalibrs_randomness/ And yes, I know the name is wierd, but it's all I could think of at the time. Please tell me, as I am still trying to work out features, and if changes are to be made, they should be made soon-ish. Thanks.

--Also, do you recon http://moddb.com/ will help? I just found this site.--

The reason those mod sites are specific to particular games is because modding is extremely specific to the engine/game you're modding. Each game has its own format for doing things, and what works in one probably won't work in another.

I really recommend the Unreal Engine for general modding purposes, it has some of the easiest means of interfacing -- not to mention perhaps the most expansive scripting control I've seen for an engine. Of course, that's just my opinion.

If you want to get into modding, you're going to have to pick a game to work from.

I wouldn't recomend HL2 for modding as if you haven't done much with C++ you'll find the code to be a nightmare. Unreal is pretty good for modding and the coding is easier (at least at a basic level it's a lot easier, I've never done anything beyond simple modifications but I've heard coding can get rather difficult when you want to do some major modifications).

Quote:
Original post by Monder
I wouldn't recomend HL2 for modding as if you haven't done much with C++ you'll find the code to be a nightmare. Unreal is pretty good for modding and the coding is easier (at least at a basic level it's a lot easier, I've never done anything beyond simple modifications but I've heard coding can get rather difficult when you want to do some major modifications).

There are some irksome limitations that have to be worked around, but for the most part it doesn't get any more complex than coding any major Java project would.

Of course, a major project is still a major undertaking, heh. Too many people go for a total conversion when they've not even mastered mutators. Some of the best mods are mutators, in fact. Take a look at ChaosUT2. It's hardly more than a collection of new weapons and features that, when put together, are bloody fun.

Remember that you don't necessarily have to do any programming to make a game (or to be specific, a mod). There's plenty of mods out there that're just level sets with some new textures and models thrown in. In terms of man-hours, modern games are something like 70% artwork and sound to 30% coding, if not even more unbalanced. Don't get bogged down with learning how to program; focus on making a complete gameplay experience, which you can do through level design, artwork, sound, scripting, storytelling, entity placement, etc.

Well, I read that most of the information is held in .INI files.
How easy are those to edit? Also how does one edit these random things. I'll add in a screenshot of the files if you guys wish, because I sure don't know how to work them. I have had a few experiences with .INI files, but only for activating the console in Deus Ex. Otherwise I have no idea.
P.s. I'm sorry for not responding as soon as I would like, but I had to sleep and go to school. Also, considering fact that the ini's are editable, what would be the easiest thing to edit?

An INI file is just a simple configuration file. You can set values for things, but that's pretty much it. What those values do or relate to is controlled by the program.

I know Deus Ex is made on the original Unreal Engine, but I don't recall if it was modifiable in the sense of being able to produce code for it. It probably is if you have ucc.exe somewhere in the DX folders. Been too long since I fiddled with DX, heh.

As superpig said though, mods are more about content than code. Deus Ex did include the Unreal Editor for map making, so you certainly can go about making maps and such. You could certainly load in some new textures, models, and animations, not to mention sound effects and maps. Deus Ex provides a nice game framework for storytelling, so unless you're looking for something drastically different - which I'd recommend just getting UT2004 at that point - you should be fine with the work already ahead of you.

Using some INI and command line tricks it would be possible to effect certain changes to further mod DX if it doesn't support scripting. Similar things were done with Raven Shield when Ubisoft failed to keep their promises to release an SDK. Bit of an old sore spot, that.

I recommend looking through the UnrealWiki on Deus Ex, which can be found here. The UnrealWiki is more or less your bible for anything in working with the Unreal Engine. Short of having developer access to the UDN, of course.

Quote:
I know Deus Ex is made on the original Unreal Engine, but I don't recall if it was modifiable in the sense of being able to produce code for it.

DX is fully moddable, they even released C++ headers so you could write your own native modules.

This topic is 4259 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.