Contex & Function Calls

Started by
3 comments, last by WitchLord 17 years, 12 months ago
Hi Should I call ex. "contex->Prepare(functionID);" every time I wish to call a function? I have speed tested it and it is three-times slower then in LUA if I have to. AngelScript

int r = 0;

// Find the function id for the function we want to execute.
int functionID = engine->GetFunctionIDByDecl(0, "float testFunc(float)");
if( functionID < 0 )
{
 cout << "Test2() - The function 'float testFunc(float)' was not found." << endl;
 contex->Release();
 return -1;
}

timeOut = g_Timer.get() + 5.0;

//Operation speed test
OST = g_Timer.get();

int accum = 0;

r = contex->Prepare(functionID);
if( r < 0 ) 
{
 cout << "Test2() - Failed to prepare the context." << endl;
 return -1;
}

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < sz; i++)
{
 contex->SetArgFloat(0, 2.55);

contex->Execute();
 accum += contex->GetReturnFloat();
}

//Operation speed test
OST = g_Timer.get() - OST;
LUA

//Operation speed test
OST = g_Timer.get();

//g_scriptMgr.openFunc("testFunc");
//g_scriptMgr.addNumber(2.55);

int accum = 0;

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < sz; i++)
{
 lua_pushstring(m_luaVM, "testFunc"); 
 lua_gettable(m_luaVM, LUA_GLOBALSINDEX); 
 lua_pushnumber(m_luaVM, 2.55);
 lua_call(m_luaVM, 1, 1);
 const double ret = lua_tonumber(m_luaVM, -1);
 lua_pop(m_luaVM, 1);

accum += ret;
}

//Operation speed test
OST = g_Timer.get() - OST;
[Edited by - ZeroSigma on April 19, 2006 5:34:55 AM]
Advertisement
I remember hearing at one point that if execute returns asEXECUTION_FINISHED, that the context was ready to run that same function again immediatly; but I am probably wrong and am not doing it that way myself anyway.

And your logic is flawed. It might take Angelscript longer than LUA to actually get executing; I have nothing to dispute that; but in any sort of non-trivial test Angelscript has been shown to execute faster. Furthermore, if your sole criteria for choosing a language is speed, don't use any scripting language, use C++ instead. Your post was rather accusatory, as if you were suggesting Angelscript advocates had been lieing through their teeth about it's performance in an attempt to make you choose Angelscript over LUA. I don't think that attitude will be appreciated here.
Calm down, Deyja! [smile]

I actually appreciate ZeroSigma's post. As it gives me some hints as to where I need to spend time optimizing the code.

I was already aware that the Prepare() method is a bottle neck in situations where many tiny script functions must be called, I just didn't know how big that bottleneck was. I'll definitely put som effort into making it less heavy.

Even though you must call Prepare() every time you start a new function call, you can make it faster by calling Prepare(-1) if the function happens to be the same as the last call.

By the way, what does the scripted testFunc() look like?

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Thanks and sorry WitchLord if I sound antagonistic towards the great work you are doing I apologise to you.
Anyway here are the scripts that are executed:

AngelScript
float testFunc(float inPara) {							  return inPara + inPara;  }

LUA
function testFunc(_in)  return _in + _in end	

Let me put it into contex for you: I have entities in a game that fire events and respond to events by executing scripted functions. A lot of entities = a lot of function calls.

Speed is a very importent criteria to me, I'm using Visual C++ as my development base and need a good scripting language like Angelscript or LUA to be my data -driven-design actuator. RPGs/RTSs and Scripting mixes well and a lot.

[Edited by - ZeroSigma on April 19, 2006 5:04:13 AM]
Don't worry, no offense taken. [smile]

I'm sure there are a lot that can be done to speed up the Prepare() method. The first and most obvious thing that I'll do is to avoid dynamic allocation of the stack memory for each call, and I can also precalculate a lot of the information determined at the moment of that call. I'll try to do this until the next major release, though I can't promise anything as I have a lot of other important things to do for the next release as well.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement