[.net] Getting notification of cd/dvd Insertion in C#

Started by
3 comments, last by Dragoncar 17 years, 12 months ago
I'm trying to write a program in C# that reacts when a cd/dvd is inserted into one of the drives. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to achieve this?
Advertisement
Not having VS on here I cannot check, but the FileSystemWatcher class might help you with this.

Failing that, you could use the hackier way and override your form's WndProc and check for the WM_DEVICECHANGE message, fired whenever a device is added/removed.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Unfortunatley:

Quote:
The FileSystemWatcher does not raise events for CDs and DVDs, because time stamps and properties cannot change.

I'm hoping to try and do it in a more C# way than the more c++ way of using the WM_DEVICECHANGE message, but thanks for the suggestion.
A Microsoft MVP has indicated in the past that intercepting the Windows message was the best way to go. (Sorry, I don't remember his name but it was a post on GotDotNet. There's a fairly decent article on using WM_CHANGEDEVICE at CodeProject.
..what we do will echo throughout eternity..
Looks like I'll have to use the WM_DEVICECHANGE message, thanks for the help guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement