Still got problems with Visual C# Express Edition

Started by
4 comments, last by remigius 18 years ago
I posted about a week ago about problems installing visual c# express edition. My problem is that i have downloaded the .iso from msdn and burnt it to disk and when i run the installation all it does it crash my pc. The specs for my pc are Pentium 4, 512mb RAM, 100GB HD running windows xp home edition. i have turned off all my antivirus and spycatcher and tried it again and still didnt work. If anybody has any ideas please let me know Cheers Richard Evans
Advertisement
Without an error message it's tough to pinpoint, a few things that come to mind though...

do you have the .net framwork installed?
did you have any beta versions of any express editions, sql, msdn library, .net framework?
did you use an iso extractor before burning, or did you let a 3rd party burning tool do it for you?
did you try to extract the iso to the harddrive to install?
Do you have SP2 installed for xp?
Have you run windows update lately?
i have the .NET Framewrork SDK installed and i have Visual C++ installed. I used isobuster to create a local copy of VCS.iso and then used nero to burn the image to cd and i have sp2 for windows

I have tried all sorts and nothing works

Any help is appreciated

Cheers Richard
Quote:Original post by Terminalkillah
i have the .NET Framewrork SDK installed and i have Visual C++ installed. I used isobuster to create a local copy of VCS.iso and then used nero to burn the image to cd and i have sp2 for windows

I have tried all sorts and nothing works

Any help is appreciated

Cheers Richard

In edition to senelebe's questions: Did you try to just install it just using the Web Installer? Also, have you tried reburning the ISO? Maybe something went wrong while burning it???

Grab Daemon Tools and try installing it using the image on your hard drive. Explore the disc before running setup to ensure you can see the file system.

If by crash you mean blue screens/reboots then open up the Event Viewer (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer) and see what the error given for the reboot is.
..what we do will echo throughout eternity..
Quote:running windows xp home edition

As far as I know, Visual Studio was never intended to be run on the home edition, which might be causing this problem. I don't know for sure for VS2005, but for VS2003 it was mandatory to have Win XP Professional installed.

Update: it seems VS2005 (and the express editions) will run on the Win XP Home edition, but only with service pack 2 installed, according to the VS Express readme. Seeing you already have that installed, it's not the problem... Well, I'm stumped :)

You might have more luck checking the VS Express support page & forums.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement