ROAM Implementation

Started by
3 comments, last by aviosity 17 years, 12 months ago
Hey all, So I've been following the ROAMSimple example that comes with the Gamasutra article on ROAM terrain rendering (link), and it's just not working out for me. My problems are numerous, and I obviously have some conceptual issues understanding the method. Does anybody have any good references to ROAM tutorials or tips they can contribute? So far all I've read is the ROAM links off of VTerrain, but I'm looking for personal opinions on other tutorials. Also, I'm open to someone recommending a different technique, as long as it is amenable to linear interpolation for height values and isn't conceptually more difficult to grasp than ROAM. Thanks a lot, Aviosity
Advertisement
Focus on 3D Terrain Programming

Real-Time 3D Terrain Engine Programming

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Hey Joe,

Thanks a lot for those recommendations...I'm actually going to get Trent's book over the summer when I have money :-P...right now I'm looking more for online tutorials. Do you or does anybody else know of any?

Thanks,
Aviosity
ROAM is mostly obsolete because it uses a lot of CPU power and sends a lot of data to the video card every frame. I recommend implementing geomipmapping as a first LOD terrain renderer. The algorithm is simpler than ROAM, and it's faster too.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Hey John,

Downloaded the paper, gonna start implementing tonight...you guys are awesome :-).

Thanks,
Aviosity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement