• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kumado

OpenGL glTexCoord and "blitting" - OpenGL

This topic is 4571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI, I am new to OpenGl. I am wanting to "blit" text images to the screen ( as well as some other uses ), how do I do this in OpenGL? Do I need a Rect, a Quad or can I use either to blit to? I have an image that is power of 2(s) and I want to place it on any portion of a rect or quad, not all over it, like you would do if you are typing a line of text. I was using glTexCoord which gets an image on the quad but it will tile the image if you make it on a large area and make the texture small in scale as the text should appear. Even if glTexCoord is not right, the man pages and all the links I found for it never explain what R and Q mean. It was a bit anoying that it said it does not appear in all forms ( but part id set by default ) but it never says what they are or do???? Width and height maybe??? At the moment, I use SDL to open the window but I set it to be only OpenGL in use. You read so much, it is so hard to tell if SDL or straight OpenGL is faster. I want a generic routine that will work in 2D and 3D. I like the fact that it makes it cross-platform .... :)

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!