How long have you been programming?

Started by
76 comments, last by Leo_E_49 18 years ago
23 years.

How about some Apple][ opcodes from 1983:

300:
AD 30 C0 // LDA C030, click the speaker, load random garbage into accumulator
20 ED FD // JSR FDED, output character in accumulator, takes a variable amount of time depending on character
4C 00 03 // JMP 300, repeat

To start, call from BASIC:
CALL 768

First compiled language: Turbo Pascal running on a Microsoft Z80 Card in the Apple //e. Also used Z80's with teletypes (no screen: your computer output was printed to paper: watch out run away programs. Too late for punch cards ;-)).

Amiga in 1985, first language: LISP! (LISP also on UCSD computers: VAX 11/780's, PDP-11's).
First compiled language on Amiga: TDI Modula-2 (was a POS: compiler crashed constantly), later Benchmark Modula-2 (awesome, fast, no bugs!), later Lattice C (buddy used Aztec C, bring back memories?).
Published first game in 1986 (Written in TDI Modula-2), next game in 1988 (using Benchmark Modula-2).
First game on PC: 1994 (Watcom C DOS4GW, had to write a bi-modal serial handler in assembly (to handle serial code in real/protected modes)). Real-time fixed point rigid body physics (+fluid dynamics), modem-based multiplayer (lockstep sim).
First XBox game in 2002 (Xbox Live launch title).
Next game, PC (physics-based internet multiplayer), VS8+BCB5, 2006 (beta test-demo soon).

While the software tools (and languages) are vastly improved, the software problems are vastly more complicated (keeps it interesting). Perhaps in the next 20 years, software will be writing itself (and we'll just be batteries powering the computers. Wait, did someone use that idea already?).

[edit: thanks for the patch, AP [lol]]

[Edited by - John Schultz on April 19, 2006 11:36:56 AM]
Advertisement
I started when I was only about 8 with an Apple II in Basic. After a while I discovered hgr and made some pretty neat monochrome graphics for plenty of never completed games. Later it was QBasic (or some other flavor) in DOS on an 8088 (still monochrome). Then at 18 I started college, C, C++, later Java, and even later C#. Now at 27 I look back almost 20 years ago and remember my first simple programs. That was a long time ago...
Quote:Original post by alexmullins
Quote:Original post by vrok137
Ive been programming ever since I was 14.... im 17 now. Im currently taking an online class in game programming, since my school does not offer any computer related courses [sad].

Well I am 15 at the moment and my school doesnt offer any c++ courses so I asked my mom and dad if I could probably take a class at my local university and I found out that they do offer classes to younger people like me. But im not sure if I want to take it or not.

could I get some advice on this please.

:D I am in the same exact situation as you. I'm 15. I've been *learning* programming (reading tutorials, "c++ for dummies", and reading GameDev) but I've yet to actually develop a program and finish it. So next school year i'm probably going to take a class at a local college. Hopefully they won't teach me deprecated techniques(sp?)

Blupix Games
20 years. My first computer was a Tandy Color Computer 2 with 64 KB of memory :)

Terry
Must be about 5 years now with C++. There was the time in the early 80's with my apple, atari 400, and timex sinclair 1000 (4k with 16k expansion!) but that was so long ago . . .
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
Man, I was stupid. I got my C++ books in sixth grade, read them (It was a for dummies book, so I think it can take some blame :P ), and I gave up after a while. Never got past saying 'Hello World' and other things in the console, to me it was nice. Picked it up in eigth grade again, delve a bit deeper but things bored me, the key is to have some sort of motivation and interest in it. I picked it up in nineth grade and have been progressing since (Which isn't much, I'm in 10th right now). So I'd say, probably two years maybe, I'm not sure.
About a year now, three if you cnsider RPG Maker 2 programming (it did have a bulit-in scripting language).
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by alexmullins
Well I am 15 at the moment and my school doesnt offer any c++ courses so I asked my mom and dad if I could probably take a class at my local university and I found out that they do offer classes to younger people like me. But im not sure if I want to take it or not.

could I get some advice on this please.

15 years is old enough to take classes--you know, grown-up classes--at most community colleges. Look into it.
7 years and im only 21.

Dave
my first compiler was microsoft quick c. ooo say 1992 or so. so too long ha ha ha. what can i say, it's addicting.
yadango

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement