How long have you been programming?

Started by
76 comments, last by Leo_E_49 17 years, 12 months ago
I started a little over a decade ago with QBasic then turbo pascal. Didn't get serious with it until later on in high school when I started learning C++, so about 7 years ago.
Advertisement
32 years.

Wrote my first program when I was 14 years old. It was used to calculate the swingarm travel of my Honda Elsinore as the rear shocks mounts were moved up and down the length of the swingarm. It was written in Fortran on a teletype terminal and ran on big iron in some remote location. I've got the paper punch tape of that code and the resulting printouts somewhere in my parents attic.

Wow, I've just realized that I have programs that are older than the majority of people that post in these forums. I've got some other good stories to share about how things were in the "early days" but right now I've got to pull up my suspenders and go outside and scream at some punks that have been walking across my front lawn...
You guys make me feel like I'll never make it in the Programming Industry, if only I had a computer before I was 13 :'(
1,654,204 years (+/- 6 months)
22 years. C64 (6502), ZX81, Amiga (Kickstart 1.2) (68000 asm, C, AMOS), PC (80x86 asm, C, C++, ADA(!), Pascal, something-like-COBOL), DEC Alpha (C, ADA)

Scary.
Winterdyne Solutions Ltd is recruiting - this thread for details!
Since 1977, when I was a teenager.
Since 1983, professionally.

-cb
I started programming 23 years ago on a TS-1000 in BASIC, and have programmed on over 30 different systems. I've been programming commercially for over 10 years.

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

About 6 years now I guess. QBasic -> Pascal -> C++ -> Java -> Various other languages
Fifteen years. Commodore BASIC -> QBasic -> VB (short time) -> C++ -> C#. Though I still use C++ only for games programming, I use C# for anything else.

Started at the ripe old age of 6.
Started learning like four or five years ago, but only started to program like a year or two ago. Most of that was pretty much preparing to program lol.
Then I got to a point where sitting on your ass reading != experience, you have to actually get dirty.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement