• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nullsmind

Meshes and 3ds files

This topic is 4422 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to load in .3ds mesh files into a D3D program? My 3d modeler really wishes to know since he had trouble with .X files in the past.

Advertisement
Yea, many people do it. You just have to write you own loader for it (or use someone else's). Here is an article about it, right here on GameDev. If that doesn't suit your needs, searching google will give you many, many different results.

However, if you plan to do animation, 3ds leaves a lot to be desired. If you want skeletal animation, I have heard of a number of people using Cal3D.

To write your own loader you need to have some basics down. I you are just starting up use .X meshes.
Quote:

My 3d modeler really wishes to know since he had trouble with .X files in the past.

True. You might have some problems until you learn the right way to export the meshes. First of, use Panda exporter, seems like it's the best way to export .X files. Another advice is to take care when mapping the model with textures/materials, wrong texturing might cause errors when you try to load the model. Also I had some trouble when I used underlines ('_') for mesh names.

[Edited by - Calin on April 18, 2006 9:42:38 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!