A Space Empire: Evil or not?

Started by
6 comments, last by Prinz Eugn 17 years, 12 months ago
Hello, I'm currently the artist for a Space TBS(whose progress is chronicled at Sir Sapo's Journal) and through lack of manpower and a creative urge, also the writer for our fairly irrelevant story, but I've found a spot where gameplay would be affected and I want some creative input. Through the game you will fight the war as a space admiral guy, and I'm pondering what your empire's stance will be through the game. What do you think would be the coolest? (what would you enjoy the most): 1. Your empire is good, but has to sacrifice some of its righteousness in order to win the war against the other empire, which is only slightly evil. 2. Both empires are amoral(not immoral), and your empire is willing to do some pretty unethical things in order to win, as is the enemy. 3. You start out as thinking you're in the honorable empire until it is revealed in the game (probably near the end)that in fact you're in a pretty malevolent nation, that you basically are the bad guys conquering a more or less innocent neighbor. Our story is basically a Space Opera type setting that I'm hoping will weave through some of the more annoying cliches; the story is basically that you're part of a large Stellar Empire that is having a huge war with the only other large stellar empire. In all cases you would receive numerous propaganda messages telling you that you’re doing the right thing, because that's what empires do during wars[grin]. A more sinister side would be revealed by you being ordered to leave ships behind at conquered planets to "ensure timely assimilation", or by even being told to send ships to your own planets to "educate the striking workers on the principles of war production"; the consequences for not doing so would probably be a big drop in production, so you couldn’t build as many ships for your armada. I want to Which idea do you think is best, or do you have an alternative? Any comments welcome, I'd like to get someone else's opinions on this stuff A Gratuitous art link Thanks,

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Prinz Eugn
2. Both empires are amoral(not immoral), and your empire is willing to do some pretty unethical things in order to win, as is the enemy.

I personally prefer this one. Much more interesting than the idea that there are "good" guys and "bad" buys, and if you're a "good" guy, what you do is good, no matter what, and if you're a bad guy, tough luck, you've been branded as such.

Would be much more interesting to show non-good/bad people doing bad (and, I suppose, good as well) things.

Anyway, sounds like an interesting project. *Goes to read up on the journal*
Go with the real world view.

Both sides think THEY are correct, both sides think god is on their side, both sides think the other is evil and doing evil things.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:What do you think would be the coolest? (what would you enjoy the most):

1. Your empire is good, but has to sacrifice some of its righteousness in order to win the war against the other empire, which is only slightly evil.

Thinking as if I was a citizen of either empire: I would not be able to accept such a war, the gray areas tend to be areas best not tred by a story.
Quote:
2. Both empires are amoral(not immoral), and your empire is willing to do some pretty unethical things in order to win, as is the enemy.

This sounds a bit more realistic to me, If the people of the empire consider themselves good, but the empire its self (perhaps behind the peoples backs) is willing to do unethical (note that ethics is defined by the society, so it would be hard to say if it is unethical or not) things to achieve its ends, then that sounds pretty good to me.
Quote:
3. You start out as thinking you're in the honorable empire until it is revealed in the game (probably near the end)that in fact you're in a pretty malevolent nation, that you basically are the bad guys conquering a more or less innocent neighbor.

Mmm, why hide it? I LOVE being the bad guy.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

So it looks like the Realistic Amoral Empires are in favor, which was actually my original idea, but Sir Sapo thought it would be interesting if there was a 'twist' at the end, and it turned out that you were the evil invading force.

The best example of the not-completely-honest empire would be at the beginning of the game, or rather the start of the war, is when the other guys attack and destroy a new colony that belongs to your empire. The colony is supposably peaceful, and I've written a speech by your Emperor Guy that basically tells a story of massacred civilians while simultaneously declaring war.
The truth would be more complex and the colony would actually be being developed as an offensive military installation, and the other guys were pretty justified in their attack.
Regardless, the war starts.

Not that you guys care, but I'll put my current Game Encyclopaedia up here for your review, although it's incomplete and probably confusing.

Thanks for the Comments, guys, more are welcome!

-Mark the Artist

Developer Journal

#3 sure reminds me of Starcraft.

I'd also have to go with the two amoral armies. I think that would be interesting, and gives you possibilities of adding multiple endings. You know, at the end you have to make a decision between the two empires, neither is the right choice. I like those sort of 'no right answer' questions.
Quote:Original post by Prinz Eugn
1. Your empire is good, but has to sacrifice some of its righteousness in order to win the war against the other empire, which is only slightly evil.

I agree with the others, but I want to point out that this route provides alot of conflict...the sacrifice of moral ground for the good of an empire. Just a thought, good luck with your game.
Slowpid, yeah, I want conflict but it just seems kind of unrealistic(read: silly) to me to be a well-defined good guy.
I was pondering the back story and thought it would be cool if there was a deep subtext to the war, that it was planned for a huge overarching purpose by the Emperor(who is basically superhuman, not just a figurehead, but not evil). That purpose would probably be something about preparing humanity to expand throughout the galaxy or saving humanity from... something. I dunno, need to work on it, obviously[smile] On this stuff I'm kind of being inspired by Asimov's Foundation series.

If I do that, it would bring up some interesting thematic issues where you would basically be commiting war crimes- to save humanity. It could be that you start out thinking you're being the kinda-badguy without morals, but then find out you're "fighting for the future"

Damn, I can ramble on... sorry

Thanks

-Mark the Artist

Developer Journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement