• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
doctorsixstring

Light Management in Scene

This topic is 4554 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are some good ways to manage lights in a scene? My "world" is composed of a set of geometry "chunks", and a series of lights. There may be any number of both. The 3D hardware can only handle a certain number of active lights at a given time, so I need a way to determine when to enable/disable each light so that image quality and speed are maximized. I've come up with two ideas: 1) For a given scene at a given camera position, the amount of visible geometry lit by each light is calculated. The lights that affect the most visible geometry are enabled. All lights beyond the hardware-defined limit will not be used. Whenever the camera or a significant amount of geometry moves, these calculations will be repeated. 2) Each chunk of geometry maintains a list of all lights that affect it. When the renderer iterates through the list of chunks, each light in the world is enabled or disabled depending on the current chunk's light list. Each chunk's list of lights would need to be updated whenever the chunk or any light in the world moves. I'm leaning towards option #2, but I'm worried that the large number of light setup/enable/disable calls may be a performance problem. Option #1 would probably be faster, but coming up with a good algorithm could be tricky. Also, the scene quality wouldn't be as nice, since only a small number of lights would be used to light the entire visible world. Thoughts?

Advertisement
3) Each Light maintain a list of Meshs/Objects it affects (quick BoundingVolume test), updated whenever something moves in/out-side of the Light's Area of Effect [BoundingVolume]
Keep the n most important lights (those which projected bounding volume area are the biggest), skip the others.

That will become especially useful when you use shadowing techniques, be it Shadow Volumes (very fillrate & vertex intensive) or Shadow Maps; in both cases you don't want more than a maximum light count or the performances will suffer tremendously.

So it wouldn't be a good idea to constantly enable/disable lights as a scene is rendered? It is better to simply calculate the n best lights and use them for an entire scene?

Quote:
Original post by doctorsixstring
So it wouldn't be a good idea to constantly enable/disable lights as a scene is rendered? It is better to simply calculate the n best lights and use them for an entire scene?

Well it's not about that at all, obviously you will enable/disable lights anyway.
The thing is in the case of a ShadowMap design, you'll only have n ShadowMaps (restrained resource), so you won't be able to have more than n Lights enabled in any given frame (n can be whatever you want [no relation with OpenGL light limit]).
Also you will process each Light one at a time, instead of 1-8 Lights like in "deprecated" OpenGL lighting system.

I don't understand why using a shadow map (or not) would affect how I determine when to enable/disable lights.

Basically, I want to know if it is better to render all visible geometry with a single set of lights, or with a large number of lights that are enabled/disabled depending on which chunk of geometry that is currently being rendered.

It seems like you are suggesting that I first determine which lights are the most important, then render all my geometry from the viewpoint of those lights. This seems like it would be a substantial performance hit, since I would be rendering a lot of geometry multiple times (once for each light). It would also play havoc with trying to sort all geometry in the scene by transparency, depth, material, texture, etc.

Perhaps it would be best to meet somewhere in the middle. You wouldn't want to generate shadow maps for every little light in a room, but just for the one or two main lights of a scene. So you would probably want to identify the most important lights in the scene for shadow map generation. Then, for individual batches of geometry, I would probably go with whatever lights where most important to that batch. That way, if you had a scene of, say, a room with a grand chandelier and a bunch of small candles along the walls, The chandelier could be the only shadow caster, while the candles contribute light to the scene properly.

Quote:
Original post by doctorsixstring
Basically, I want to know if it is better to render all visible geometry with a single set of lights, or with a large number of lights that are enabled/disabled depending on which chunk of geometry that is currently being rendered.

You may change the lightset for each Mesh it shouldn't hurt performance.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, but I assumed you would go shadowmaps/volumes, in which case the processing of your scene is different.
See that article to have an idea.
(Basically you process the geometry within the light Area of Effect once per light, in order to get proper lite areas, it's not that different with shadowmaps since you need bind the correct shadowmap)

I may want to add support for more advanced techniques in the future, but for now, I just want to get a basic lighting system going.

Thanks for the info, though. I'll take a look at that article.

I like the idea of being able to attach lights to nodes in the scene graph and then having them effect that node and all its children. David Elberly does something similar in Wild Magic 3.

The idea is to choose lights based on the following rules:
- first we check distance: every light in a specific radius is considered a light source
- if the light source is in this radius, we check if its attenuation is high enough to exclude it from the list
- if the light source is in a specific radius and not attenuated enough to be ignored, we compare its distance to the distance of all other considered light sources and prioritize it based on distance
- then we check if it has a dominating color. If it is only white or greyish it does not have as much influence on the scene, as if it is colored ... so the later lights might get a higher priority
- then we check if it has a higher chromacity than the other lights that are considered as a light source

then we will have a list of lights with different priorities ... the first four - eight will be shown on the object ...

then there are shadows. We can assume that four shadow maps are pretty much ... right? ... so maybe you want those to end up always based on the priorities above at four lights that case shadows ... obviously shadows need to follow the light color here ...

... this is just a list of things you might consider if you think about a light manager. Maybe your priorities are different or you can exclude a few of the points of the list because your game do not need it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!