• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

SWAT 4...and a Newbie! Match made in...

This topic is 4328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm gonna just throw this out there. I have looked for a place for people like me to hang out, and been unable to find one. I love taking programs apart, but I'm not a very apt coder...yet. I'm working on learning, but learning from reverse engineering while try to go to school and hold down a job, and a relationship. ;) Anyway, SWAT 4 has been my most recent fun. I'm trying to cheat, but not to cheat. I'm just trying to learn how the server works really. I swear I'm not doing anything bad or trying to cheat at online games. I'm really trying to see how it works. I edit the swatequipment.ini file and it doesn't match the servers, so it's a no-go. But, I've managed to make my version of the ini file, identical to the original, I think. I've compared mine to the original side by side, and fixed the obvious differences. And an ini file is all text, so if there were some sort of digital watermark, I thought I would find it. Anyway, from there I figured I'd work on the source code. Swat 4 works on the Unreal engine. If I just change the .u extension to a .c, I can get a pretty good idea what the files contain with my Dev-C. Anyway, my mind is slipping, and I'm not very good at reading the code. I really enjoy doing it for fun in my spare time though. So anyone who has already done this, or is also in the process, I'd like to compare notes. It's not really about anything now, except figuring out how to read what I can find! ;) Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
lol, no offense, but I suggest you get more informed on programming first. .u files are in no way .c source files. Rather, I believe (But don't know, as I'm not really experienced with the Unreal Engine) they are probably User Interface scripts or UnrealScript (If it even still exists).

I doubt any game company would just release the source like that (C/C++ sources of course), usually, if not always, the sources have been compiled and are what make your game work. Unfortunately I didn't understand exactly what you meant, as it's one big paragraph and easy to get lost. However, are you sure it applies to this site? Game Development? I don't mean to sound rude, however, I believe there are other sites meant for this type of thing.

So no you cannot easily figure out what the code looks like by changing the file extension. All the code gets "compiled" into either .exe or .dll files. Compiled means basically translated from C-code into machine code (binary). There is no way to go from binary back to C-code. The best you can do is go from binary to assembly language which is a really primitive and very hard to read language (it's the least like natural language of all the languages).

The short is that if you didn't already know that, then you will have zero luck doing anything with that knowledge alone. You'll need to spend a great amount of time learning assembly before you can do anything.

Check out the forum FAQ in the "For Beginners" section to get started on learing how to program:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=31

-me

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement