• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Extrakun

DirectX Development and Eclipse

This topic is 4503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to do DirectX development in Eclipise? (Not looking for an IDE comparison, just wondering if there is a possibility) Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Well what are you looking for? Are you looking for tools to write shaders and such in, or just an IDE to write C++ code in. You can quite easily write C++ with the CDT plugin, but writing tools is a bit more complex.

Actually, I just want to write the C++ code in Eclipse IDE, but I remember something about D3DX libraries only usable on .Net, and that you need special libraries for other complier besides .Net

Maybe I remembered wrongly?

The bigger question is whether the binaries shipped with the DXSDK are compatable with whatever compiler Eclipse is using. Source code is, well, just source-code so that shouldn't matter.

I've not tried it, but from what I gather, using DXSDK binaries with things like Borland and DevCpp can require you to jump through hoops before it'll work.

A good test would be whether you can use/compile regular PSDK/Win32 code. If you can do that then you should be fine for DX.

If you can drop in your own compiler, I'd recommend using the VS2003 Toolkit - it's still a damn good compiler, and it should work fine with the binaries/headers included in the SDK.

hth
Jack

Hi,

From what I know of Eclipse, there's a plug-in which allows GNU C++ to be used. It can be cutomised for any compliers. I will check out it would take the VS2003 Toolkit complier.

Quote:
Original post by Extrakun
Hi,

From what I know of Eclipse, there's a plug-in which allows GNU C++ to be used. It can be cutomised for any compliers. I will check out it would take the VS2003 Toolkit complier.

Shucks, I just checked out the plug-in. I have to use Cgywin's GNU C++ in order to use it, so I doubt it would be able to support Visual Toolkit's complier...

If you know how to write makefiles then you can use any compiler with Eclipse. However, the errors/warnings may not get picked up...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!