Physics Engines Appraisal

Started by
23 comments, last by Salmod 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by Salmod
But what kind of situations could cause a simulation to "blow up"...? No need to get too technical, but if there is a simple example to explain the concept - that would be nice. :)

Probably the easiest way to find out is to create a scene with lots of objects connected with very stiff springs (or constraints), then start bashing the objects in some way (you'll probably have to turn up the engine's fudge-o-tron (whatever it is) to keep it stable (resulting in loss of high frequency motion)).

Another simple example would be to model a car with very stiff springs and go off of a jump. Upon landing, if the system can't handle the spring stiffness, the car will hit the ground and launch into outer space!
Advertisement
lol - ok thanks guys, I'll do some more research on that one. :)

Thanks again for all your input so far guys. I think it's fairly clear I won't find any kind of "reference" material for asserting the pro's and con's of these systems. I guess this is due to the fact that the people who make the engines don't want to publicise their bad points! ;)

I think I will stick to listing the actual features of the engines, and then discussing specifically why I went with PhysX.

Thanks again for the help. Feel free to continue discussing though - it's good reading. :)

Out of interest, are you guys allowed to give any details of the projects you are working on? ;)
Out of interest, are you guys allowed to give any details of the projects you are working on? ;)

You've just reminded me to keep my mouth shut, I've censored my posts to keep lawyers apart, sorry for that.

Tomasz ZielinskiTMReality

Quick screen shot from upcoming beta test-demo:

Up to 64 cars, networked. The military-style vehicle will either be removed or replaced with prettier art (was good test vehicle with high center of mass). Cars drive directly on cubic polynomial patches (patches are dynamically tessellated before sending to GFX card). No shaders or other modern GPU elements currently used (mostly old school rendering (multi-pass env maps, bump mapping, specular effects, simple pre-rendered shadow/outlines projected to contact surface, etc.).

Physics engine is impulse-based with an emphasis on kinetic energy correctness. Cars use a flexible tire model. In the "lab", 300ms network lag is fairly well hidden, even with cars traveling at 300+ MPH. We'll see how it fairs out in the wild of the internet [wink].

Quote:Original post by tomek_zielinski2

You've just reminded me to keep my mouth shut, I've censored my posts to keep lawyers apart, sorry for that.

Oh dear - shud've save all that first then! :(

Nice screenie John, sounds v cool! Let us know when the beta is available... ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement