• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Tree Structures In Computer Graphics

This topic is 4329 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone would be so kind as to point me towards a few articles on implementing tree structures (binary, oct, quad, ect.), and in particular, practically applying them to uses in computer graphics. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
A kd-tree tutorial can be found here, while a overview about a couple of the structures is this
Give a look to this too, and this.
There was a paper that made a comparation between a few of these, and I'm not sure, but it may have contained even some implementation details. Unlukily, I don't remember the name of the author nor the title, but perhaps some raytracing guy could help: in this paper the author established that kd-trees are better, and that's why we all use it to our rt ;-)

I've found this on bsp.

Oh wow, heaps of stuff! I better get reading =). Thanks a ton for the help, I really appreciate it.

You can get this information from any data structures book, it might be better to first implement a general templated version of the data structures. Then have a crack at something a little more graphics-centric.

Quote:
Original post by Kustaz
Oh wow, heaps of stuff! I better get reading =). Thanks a ton for the help, I really appreciate it.

Happy to know it helps. In the meantime, I've found the paper:Heuristic Ray Shooting Algorithms may not be specifically focused on what you need, but the chapters that cover the structures could be useful and interesting.
Regards.

Quote:

You can get this information from any data structures book, it might be better to first implement a general templated version of the data structures. Then have a crack at something a little more graphics-centric.

@OP: if you never implemented a simple binary tree, then I suggest to first learn them, and only as a second step trying something more complex.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement