• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Scipio3

time for game development

This topic is 4566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to make a full game in your spare time (provided you have a team)? How long would this realisitically take? And what would take so long for the game to be completed (art or programming?). I'm specifically thinking about a 3d game that doesn't use the most advanced technology. Are most people in these forums making their games in their spare times? Also, if you can create a demo that doesn't have the best art, could you get funding for completing the art? And is the art intrinsically linked with the programming. I guess what I'm asking is whether or not you would need to code more to integrate new pieces of artwork or could it be done without more coding. What is the main factor that makes it take some time for a 3d game to be created. --Scipio3

Advertisement
in my opinion a game (pretty simple) or a mod will take 12 weeks with 4 of you. well, this is the time frame you are given at university and dont forget along side the game programming module you have another 4 modules equally involving.

A simple simulation type game like pong could take as little as a couple of days to a week depending on your skill level. A mod maybe a month, this is on your own of course and again we are talking how complicated is the design, game or whatever you are doing.

A full game is possible, say an opengl fps with basic functionality and models (assuming you have the software as well) could take a couple of months. the code is always the idiot and when you get to a point where things just arent working projects halt and come to an end . . again depending on ur determination, you could get a reasonable game done in up to a month. if ur looking for a coding buddy or someone to exchange ideas id be all for it

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!