Rendering Text w/a Glassy Looking Effect

Started by
2 comments, last by acid2 18 years ago
Can someone point me in the right direction as to the best way to do this? I need to know the different types of images needed to pull this off. I would assume I first need a bitmap of all of the characters as well as another bitmap that has information as to where the gloss and how much glass there would be on each of the characters. Now, should I make the font big and just scale it down as I see fit? .. Am I going about this the wrong way? Thanks!
Advertisement
That is how I've done my font system. 240 point-sized bitmaps that are resized at application load time to whatever character heights are needed.

A per-pixel orthographic projection shader (GLSL) was then used to do the compositing of the text's channels and the background behind them.

Even OpenGL fixed-function shading could be used if only simple blending is needed.
Do you have any screenshots of this in action to see the outcome?

Thanks
At a guess you want some text that refracts the image behind it? I suggest using post processing, and when you render the text, for each letter have an offset value, that offests the pixels, then, when you render you just offset the scene accordingly. Sorry that's a bit rushed, I'm sure if you need a hand, just say and people will explain (or I will when I get back [wink]).
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement