• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zdravko

OpenGL Basic information about OpenGL

This topic is 4594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I am working on a simulation in C++ that requires simple but fast 2d visualization. OpenGL may help me for this purpose. But could you tell me where to find the basic starting information that I need to make a simple OpenGL program to work? The development is currently set to Linux - so far I am pretty sure graphic drivers for GL + compiler is installed. I even tried to link against some OpenGL libraries - it works. Now I need a good starting point. Further more, I would like to know whether OpenGL supports drawing of circles.

Advertisement
I would consider using orthographic projection. This allows you to create view-port sized quadrilaterals that generate a per-pixel 2D grid. GLSL shaders can be used to perform almost any type of calculation when it comes to generating each pixel's final colour/opacity.

There is the WIKI (new and not finished) http://www.opengl.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

and check out tutorial sites.

"Further more, I would like to know whether OpenGL supports drawing of circles."

No, 3D graphics hw specialize in rendering points, point sprites, lines, triangles and in some cases bezier surfaces and such. Circles can be done with lines.
A filled circle can be done with a single triangle fan.

From what you have said about "simple but fast 2D visualization" something like SDL might be better suited to the job.

If circles, curves, and pixel manipulation are what you demand, then OpenGL may not be the right tool, especially under Linux (although drivers are improving).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!