Tools Programming

Started by
2 comments, last by RobTheBloke 17 years, 12 months ago
In the development of a game there a Game Tools Programmer that does - scripting, importing or converting art, modifying behaviors or building levels. I want to learn this, where can I find books for this?
Advertisement
This one looks good (can't say more, because I haven't read it).
You can find more reviews in the Books @ GameDev.net section.
books.google.com is also very helpful.
I'd also recommend books about Maya ( Mel Scripting and the C++ API ) as well as 3D Studio Max. You'll also need to look into Windows Programming Win32, MFC ( ew ), and WinForms ( C# and .NET ). Also the 'run of the mill' graphics books and math books will help ;)

Since doing some tools programms might require the tool to generate bi-normals for models, theres a whole lot more but I'd rather not list a bunch ;)

I highly recommend the book Konfusius linked to.
Raven Software :: Tools Programmer
[Ravensoft] [My Site] [Full Sail]
http://robthebloke.org for maya api and mel stuff. Other than that, learn lots of useful libs, wxWidgets, mfc, C#. Learn lots about maths, compression, graphics programing. Having an apreciation for how the art tools work is very useful, downloading the learning editions of max, maya and xsi would be recommended. The only real way to learn it though, is just to start doing it....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement