Looking for a good C++ to UML tool

Started by
10 comments, last by d000hg 17 years, 11 months ago
I've got some source code I'd like to understand but want to get an overview of how the program fits together - does anyone know of a program that can convert the c++ source to UML class diagrams? What I'd really like is one that can handle relationships between classes (It doesn't have to produce perfect results, just something better than unconnected boxes).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
Advertisement
StarUML perhaps?
Coincidentally that was just what I was looking for.
Thanks~

Actually, I didn't know such thing as the starUML existed.
I didn't run the program yet, but the idea of my next project was something like this:
"You draw your own UML diagrams, and from those UML diagrams, classes are formed, and you can program visually and with your mouse instead of with your keyboard."
I don't know if this is possible, but I was going to make one even though it sucked and was very elementary. Good idea no?

Well that's how I intended to get into windows programming.
Now if something like this already exists, then I guess I'll go with my 2nd plan of going directly into window based games. The making of the new number munchers and word munchers.
lol, is StarUML developed by koreans?
seems that way, new entities are defaulted to random korean names.
looks like, my idea's already been taken. :(
Quote:Original post by Tradone
Coincidentally that was just what I was looking for.
Thanks~

Actually, I didn't know such thing as the starUML existed.
I didn't run the program yet, but the idea of my next project was something like this:
"You draw your own UML diagrams, and from those UML diagrams, classes are formed, and you can program visually and with your mouse instead of with your keyboard."
I don't know if this is possible, but I was going to make one even though it sucked and was very elementary. Good idea no?

Well that's how I intended to get into windows programming.
Now if something like this already exists, then I guess I'll go with my 2nd plan of going directly into window based games. The making of the new number munchers and word munchers.

Do you know what UML diagrams are? They show relationships between classes, and their attributes etc pictorally, absolutely nothing to do with windows programming specifically

So i dont see how what your suggesting will be made easier with UML tools

If your talking about making windows programs with your mouse more than your keyboard, try looking into visual basic
Quote:Original post by DrewGreen
I've got some source code I'd like to understand but want to get an overview of how the program fits together - does anyone know of a program that can convert the c++ source to UML class diagrams?
What I'd really like is one that can handle relationships between classes (It doesn't have to produce perfect results, just something better than unconnected boxes).

You could try Doxygen.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Made with a hax0red copy of Doxygen and Graphviz, because I wanted dark evil hax0r looking graphs with sexy antialiasing, and Doxygen wouldn't let me change the colours, and Graphviz wouldn't make me an antialiased raster image.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Quote:Original post by Welshy
Do you know what UML diagrams are?

Please, I don't want any problems, but your response was extremely offensive, and full of misunderstanding.
It seems like I did not explain enough, ** Please note that I'm not the OP**

Yes I know what UML diagrams are.
and no I never said UML diagrams have anything to do with windows programming.
I said, "You draw your own UML diagrams, and from those UML diagrams, classes are formed, and you can program visually and with your mouse instead of with your keyboard."
meaning, you can draw your own UML diagram as if you were to draw it on paper on the computer. (but UML diagrams only contain information about header files) After they have been drawn, you can fill in the actual methods ( the cpp stuff ) by mostly doing clicks ( like flashMX's beginner's mode script programming if you know what flash is)

Quote:Original post by Welshy
If your talking about making windows programs with your mouse more than your keyboard, try looking into visual basic

"Well that's how I intended to get into windows programming."
meaning, I've never done windows programming. Never touched on MFC, just plain text based C++ on my freebsd box. So, I was planning the above kind of UML application for my first graphical application, and I figured maybe doing it on a windows platform will be a lot easier, and get to know some windows programming.

Basically, I was planning to make something like Visual Basic. But Visual Basic actually gives you a compiled program, where as my UML software would give a C++ code.

[Edited by - Tradone on April 19, 2006 9:34:03 PM]
Please, I don't want any problems, but your response was extremely offensive, and full of misunderstanding.
It seems like I did not explain enough, ** Please note that I'm not the OP**

I didnt mean to sound offensive mate, i apologise.

As for being full of misunderstandings, that's because i dont understand how UML will help you do what you intend, lol
Thanks everyone, those both look like they're worth checking out. (I didn't even know I could use Doxygen like that!)

A very good idea. At uni we had Rational Rose 2001 which is capable of doing this (it also happens to cost a fat wad of cash) with c++ and java, although it only outputs a "skeleton" version (i.e. the routines won't actually do anything) - I don't know whether that's what you meant though.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement