• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
falklian

Need some direction

This topic is 4500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have always been interested in making games and have succesfully made simple games like pong clones or side scrolling shooters along the lines of 1942. Anyway, the problem I have is that everytime I think about how cool it would be to make a platformer like Mario or a top down action RPG like Zelda, my brain shuts down trying to think about how to implement the logic. Mostly talking about hit detection and locations on the screen. For example, how do I keep my character from falling through the ground or how do I know my character is standing in front of a door s/he can enter? What I'm looking for is some sort of book that gives hints and details these things. Any recomendations? I'm looking more for something general that can be applied to any language (I use Visual C# .NET 2005) that would explain things like keeping a character on a playing surface (i.e. I'm on the ground and there's a platform above me, I can jump through it and land on top of it) or how to interact with objects (I can pick up this chair or push this rock or go through this door). By the way, I programming as a hobby and also prefer 2D, if that information will help at all. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and insight. Bill

Advertisement
Sounds like you should be looking up some 2d collision detection, and possibly looking into a 2d physics engine (which may or may not be what you are looking for)

give that a quick look:
flatland (yes, it's C++ sorry)

Another thing you may be interested in is a scripting language to implement in game. This might be looked into a bit later on when you're interested in having quests and other things of the sort if you want to do something like Zelda.

I would reccomend coming up with a plan, giving it a shot, and then coming here with any specific issues you are having.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!