web space

Started by
8 comments, last by yaustar 17 years, 12 months ago
I'd like to have my own site and just host my coding projects and small and simple stuff like that. What is the best place to buy web domains from like (www.mywebdomain.com) or whatever, I want it to be a .com, and also, what should I be looking to pay for it. Thank you, -Karakadin
Advertisement
www.godaddy.com

about $10 USD / year for domain

web space is extra
does the domain come with any webspace at all? like... I dunno, 100 MB or something small, just to host a few projects?
I find it easier to simply run a web server off of my own PC with a free domain from www.no-ip.com, assumming you have a broadband connection. Then again, I only get about 100 hits a day and barely use that PC for web browsing, so I don't know what effect running a popular website would have on the speed of page loading if you actively used that PC for browsing.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
im not looking to make a "popular" site, im thinking just a place where my friends / fam. can look at my projects, and maybe a periodic blog in there or something, nothing special.
Check with your internet provider. All the ones I have had have given me a *little* free webspace. Some like 10-50mbs, though I swear it doesn't mind me putting more than the advertised value on. As for the domain, well, theres dot.tk, but that's not .com. 10$ a year isn't that much, though.

Alot of people don't realize that they have some webspace from their internet providers, but most people do. You might have to hunt about their website in order to find it, though.
im on a university connection though... so I don't think I can get it through that. Also, if there is a .com that has 10-50 MB or more for like $9.95 - $19.99 or so, could you let me know where to find it. Thank you,

-Karakadin
I use uni.cc here

And no-ip.com here

So that i can host my website from home, with a nice pretty domain name.

All for free.
I don't understand though, can you explain to me how to get these to work, or what I should do to setup the service or whatever?
If it is just a personal site, you may want to look at some of the free web hosting packages that are available which averages about 10mb-20mb of webspace, limited bandwidth and a subdomain (eg yourname.domainname.com).

For example: Brinkster have an reasonable free package although there are better ones out there if you search hard enough.

If you want to run your own server (which shouldn't be possible via your University connection). The quickest way is to install a pre-server package like Apach2Triad and setup a free account at No-Ip which points to your IP address.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement