Effort for Modelling

Started by
3 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 17 years, 12 months ago
I'm a developer and not a modeller. I'm curious what kind of effort, in man-hours and corresponding dollar amounts, would be required for a project I'm working on. My project would require levels that are similar to a racing game. More specifically, a level where the user is required to stay on a narrow track as he traverses through a nice looking level. A good comparison would be to a level that you would find in Need for Speed or Project Gotham. Also, what effort is necessary to create a simple character. I've seen several tutorials to help me make one myself but I'd rather leave that to a professional. Thanks for helping a noob.
Advertisement
Hey pwierz,

I'm a developer and a modeller...albeit not a master at either, but that's what happens when you split your time. Things you'll want to look into for your game project:

- I'd recommend Cinema4D as your modelling package...there's plenty of great tutorials on the web, from total n00b to advanced. I've used 3dsMax, Maya, Lightwave, and others (all trial versions for 30 days), and Cinema4D for school (actually have a copy), and my opinion with that data is to stick with Cinema4D. Great UI, plenty of plugins, etc...not the industry standard, especially for games (C4D is mainly geared towards cinematic stuff), but I find it great for my applications.

- Creating a simple character can be done many, many ways. Check out the Maxon Tips and Techniques section to get a head start, then look into character modelling (check out Creative Cow).

- Things for your game: look into Axis-Aligned Bounding Boxes (AABBs) or bounding spheres, various forms of collision detection, NURBS/other types of splines (for the track), billboarding for objects around the track, skyboxes/skydomes, etc. BUT FIRST! If you don't know a programming language (I recommend C++) or a graphics API (I recommend DirectX or OpenGL or SDL, not going to start an API war here), LEARN THAT FIRST. If you already do, sorry [grin].

Best of luck,
Aviosity
Sorry. I wasn't asking how much effort for me. I was asking if I hired someone, how much work would I be requiring to outsource?
Hi! Why hire someone when you actually can get it for free? just be nice to ask people on a model forum or something :-)
believe me! the results can turn out to be extremely good, and it'll save ya alot of money!
I wanna become a good programmer for my game :-)
Quote:Original post by Xsis
Hi! Why hire someone when you actually can get it for free? just be nice to ask people on a model forum or something :-)
believe me! the results can turn out to be extremely good, and it'll save ya alot of money!

Well, this is a good idea if you don't want to sell your game. People tend to be bitchy if you tell them 'I want a model for free and I'm going to put it i my paying game'. Paying for a model tend to simplify the legal side of the stuff.

Furthermore, if someone is willing to pay for a model, don't discourage him - an artist will earn money, and that's a pretty good news [smile]

To answer the OP's question, it migh depend on the details you want. Obviously, a race track that is as detailed as in Project Gotham will cost heavy dollars. It is difficult to estimate the time one would need to do it, but you can safely bet that it is more than 10 days :)

Regards,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement