• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dravin

Im worried,

This topic is 4506 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am putting tons of effort into learning c++ but what worries me is if I am putting time into learning this language to waste. Now I want to be a a game programmer when I get into collage and from what I hear, C++ is the best for it but I also heard that c++ will be come useless in a couple years and it will be all c#. I want to know if this is true or not.

Advertisement
The transition from C++ to other languages will be very very slow (unfortunately). But, you shouldn't worry too much anyway, plenty of the knowledge you get from C++ will help you learn other languages.

Quote:
Original post by Dravin
I am putting tons of effort into learning c++ but what worries me is if I am putting time into learning this language to waste. Now I want to be a a game programmer when I get into collage and from what I hear, C++ is the best for it but I also heard that c++ will be come useless in a couple years and it will be all c#. I want to know if this is true or not.

not true. c and c++ are still extremely useful and popular languages, and will be for many years to come. learning c# doesn't seem like a bad idea either. one of the most important parts of programming is picking the right tool for each job. many people will write a game in c++, but write the editors and tools in c#.

Learning your first language is always the toughest...my first serious language was Scheme...that was NOT fun. After that though, it's rather easy to do, to the point where as long as you understand the paradigm of the language (OO, procedural, functional, etc) you can pick it up in a few days (not master it, of course).

I don't know...my experience with C/C++ and C# leads me to believe its rather easy to switch between the two, although I might be the minority.

Aviosity

Quote:
Original post by Dravin

I'd bet a lot of money that C++ will still be in regular use in the games industry even 10 years down the line.

The nice thing about going to university and getting a decent computer science degree is that you understand more than just how to hack together functions in y programming language; you get to learn how to think and work in many languages at once, even ones you haven't encountered before.

Quote:
Original post by Dravin

It won't matter. Eventually when you get more advanced, you'll realise that learning the syntax of a language isn't the hard bit. The hard bit is the problem solving. I think that if you keep working hard at it, you'll be pretty much fluent in C++ in a year or a little under. Then most of your time you'll spend on problem solving, but it's quite possible that you won't even notice the transition.

So, even if C++ is gotten rid of in the next 3-4 years, all the programmers out there will simply learn the syntax of a new language and continue on as if nothing happened, because the problem solving, not the language, is the most important part of being a programmer.

Quote:
problem solving, not the language, is the most important part of being a programmer.

I second this, language syntax is easily picked up when new languages surface but its definately the knowing how to apply these languages that counts (problem solving, algorithms, etc ) not knowing its syntax thats the most important.

Quote:
Original post by Dravin
...from what I hear, C++ is the best for [game development] ...I also heard that c++ will be come useless in a couple years and it will be all c#.

What I want to know is where people "hear" these things? When I was a beginner I never heard this sort of crap. Then again, I didn't have the internet, so I couldn't be lied to by idiots with megaphones.

Whenever you hear a piece of "news," consider the source. Is it credible? Is it informed? Can it provide links to or citations of further, more detailed works/sources? If it fails any of those tests, discard it. It's BS.

This will save you an immense amount of time fretting over non-events along with people looking for an excuse not to get to work.

From what I hear, in the future robots will be writing the software for us (and cleaning our rooms and make us coffee).

Then again I heard these predictions in the 90s and they were talking about the robots being here at the future year of 2005... And these were serious intelligent men predicting the future for a newspaper not the teenager next door.

as for the real topic -
Just wanted to say I agree with the above, once you learn C++ it will be easy to learn C# or (most) other languages and the problem solving is the important part and its probably a long way till C++ is gone.

Quote:
Original post by Dravin
I also heard that c++ will be come useless in a couple years and it will be all c#. I want to know if this is true or not.

It is very hard to predict the future. But you can test for your own if C++ becomes "useless" in a couple of years: just set your computer date to the year 2010 and try to compile some of your C++ sources. Then you'll know ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!