• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
donblas

How do I use a class/function from a previous version?

This topic is 4418 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm trying to recompile an old project which is written in DX9; however, the ID3DXFont class and the D3DXCreateFont function that I used were both using the DX8 versions. I have no idea how I accomplished this in VS.NET 2003 (C++). I believe I set up libraries or something in order to make it compile, because this is definately the copy that worked before, except that all of my environment settings are now gone. I also now need to get a working copy of this project, but I don't have time to fix the error and write it using DX9 versions. Any ideas on how I managed this before? I need to use the DX8 definitions for those pieces specifically without interfering with anything else. Thanks!

Advertisement
The DirectX 8 header and library files are included with the DirectX 9 SDK (they always ship the headers and libraries for the previous version of DirectX).

The problem could simply be that VS isn't looking for the SDK files at all. Take a look at the following in VS2003.NET:

Tools ->
Options... ->
Projects ->
VC++ Directories ->

1a) Set the "show directories for:" box to "Include files"

1b) Make sure that the path to the header files in your DirectX SDK installation (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2006)\Include) is at the *TOP* of the big list. If it isn't in the list, add it and make sure it's at the top.

2a) Set the "show directories for:" box to "Library files"

2b) Make sure that the path to the library files in your DirectX SDK installation (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2006)\Lib\x86) is at the *TOP* of the big list. If it isn't in the list, add it and make sure it's at the top.

If that doesn't fix the problem, could you post the compile/link errors you get.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!