Compiler for C

Started by
6 comments, last by theheibenator 18 years ago
What is a good compiler for C. I am starting to learn it, but i want one that is very good. I dont really have a price cap, just seeing my possibilities. While im asking, what's a good one for C++ too. That's what im learning next. I want the best i can get to make great games.
Avneet
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=388312
GCC (Mingw32 on windows) is a great C compiler as well (and c++ for that matter). If you are looking for an IDE to go with it I hear Eclpise is good, there is also Dev-C++ which is a little more light weight. Then of course there is my favorite, VIM, which is more of and editor than an IDE, but much more powerful than any of today's IDEs. Much higher learning curve though.
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.
Visual Studios 2005 Express Edition is free, good IDE (imo) and an excellent debugger. Plus the ones listed above.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Pelles C
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Not a compiler, uses GCC (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong) but Eclipse has something called the CDT that's almost like a plugin package for Eclipse, and works beautifully (if you can get it to work). While tricky to set up, I believe that Eclipse has the edge over VC++...however, I use VC++ (no time to set up Eclipse and the CDT), so I guess I'm being a bit hypocritical :-P.

Eclipse Home
Eclipse CDT Wiki

Hope that helps,
Aviosity
www.digitalmars.com
I usually use Dev-C++ and it's always worked great for me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement