• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

8 bit render target

This topic is 4329 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have a noob question, but can I create a 8 bit render target in DirectX. I tried to give D3DFMT_L8, but for some reason he can't create a render target from this. I presume it's because it's an unsigned format or something, but the great error reporting system of DirectX doesn't say anything interesting ... again. So is it possible, and what format do I need to use then ? (less than 8 bit is also oké, but this will be rather hard I suppose) Regards, Kenzo

Advertisement
You can't create a 8-bit render target, as today's hardware doesn't support those.

You can check for supported rt formats at runtime, by using the various device validation functions that D3D supports. This is a good practice in any case, even if you just run test programs on your own computer.

In practice, the hardware today doesn't like palettes at all, and 16-bit RGB (either 565 or 555x) is the lowest weight render target that you can create.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think the lowest you will be able to use as an RT is X1R5G5B5

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement