Clouds

Started by
9 comments, last by abso 17 years, 12 months ago
how would you guys handle the clouds for an outdoor scene. 1. i'm not shure how i should implement them. do i need to place them all over my sky sphere or are they on a quad wich covers everything? 2. how many quads / textures etc should i need? i just want to place distant clouds ( wich appear really thin ). but their color blurs with the one of the sky at the horizon and the side towards the sun is lit, whereas the other side appears grey / darker. how can i simulate this behaviour?
Advertisement
Depends... do you intend to animate them in any way?

If you don't then bake them into your sky sphere...
Byron Atkinson-JonesXiotex Studioswww.xiotex.com
well, i want them moving around.
i have a dynamic day / night cicle and also want dynamic weather, this includes cloud movement etc..
but i'm not shure how i could simulate the "creation" of the clouds, but i'll concentrate on that, when the clouds look fine.
Well for those clouds that are 'far-away' I would still consider baking them since that would add to the noise and content to the sky.

For the close up ones bill-board them (viewer facing polys).

Personally I have never been happy with the whole single-quad-multiple-layer type of sky you see so often.
Byron Atkinson-JonesXiotex Studioswww.xiotex.com
but what other options do i have?
i saw one demo wich creates the clouds procedural, but this costs lots of gpu power and i don't want to spend all the power for the clouds. doesn't anyone have an idea how to create good looking clouds ( musn't be perfect ) wich are able to move? ^^ haven't found a tutorial yet.
I think this sort of general graphics question will be better suited to the GP&T forum... [smile]

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

http://www.ofb.net/~eggplant/clouds/

That is how it has been done in ms flight sim.
Quote:Original post by De Cowboy

That is how it has been done in ms flight sim.

High quality stuff (y)

Clickable:
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
thanks for the link.
i'll read that as soon as i can :)

*edit* wow, that looks more than just impressive, thats awsome :D
but isn't there something not that complex? i want to start with a simple model and then refine it, until i am satisfied, i doubt i can handle such a complex scenario at once :o
You will get quite good looking clouds just by having bunches of sprites forming clouds, with increased opacity the closer to the core they are. Like they do in MSFlight sim, but without shaders and dot products, and different colors at dawn and sunset and without support for 3DMax. [smile]
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement