Windows SDK Programming?

Started by
8 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 12 months ago
Hi I got a book called the "Windows NT Native API Reference" and i would like to use some of the functions i am learning but i cannot seem to download any SDK's which have the headers like ntdll.h and others which will let me use these functions... I have downloaded the .Net Framework SDK 2.0 and i have downloaded the Platform SDK but neither SDK's have the appropriate header files, can anyone help me out please ???? Thanks
fRuPeRt
Advertisement
did it say what version of NT it's for? you may not find those functions/files for NT 5.0 (Win 2000) or NT 5.1 (Win XP).

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

its with the ddk i think
Bring more Pain
1. Its for the Windows 2000 API
2. Ive tried to download the DDK but i dont know where...
fRuPeRt
Quote:Original post by frupert
1. Its for the Windows 2000 API
2. Ive tried to download the DDK but i dont know where...

A quick Yahoo! search gives us retired DDK tools that according to the site is undownloadable.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

it is actually possible to get the Windows DDK, just u have to order the CD/DVD through Microsoft who will charge me 25 dollars postage and handling and considering im only 16 i dont have a credit card....
fRuPeRt
frupert,
The NATIVE API is the undocumented part of windows API.

for example,
CreateFile -> Native API : NtCreateFile

you basicly shouldn't call those function and thats why microsoft did not provided you with the header files.

you will not find the header files in the DDK , you may find part of them but mostly used to be called from Ring-0 (Kernel mode). there may be some unoffical header files on the net for them.

to be able to call Native APIs you have to decleare those functions yourself.

I believe the book gives you a full function prototype. all you have to do is decleare the function as an extern function and link the ntdll.lib to your project.

Incase you need an example , give me one of the Native function you willing to call. I'll try to provide you with a real life example.

Cheers,
Nuno1
Are you actually trying to do driver development? If not, then you don't need the DDK, just the platform SDK and a compiler (like VS 2005 Express).
Microsoft no longer offers the DDK for download, but you can always torrent it.

Granted, you shouldn't be using the DDK unless you're doing kernel-level stuff. Which is really crazy stuff - my best description of it is "a waterfall of blue screens of DEATH". [lol]

Edit by moderator: removed the active link to piratebay.

[Edited by - hplus0603 on April 20, 2006 10:29:34 AM]
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Microsoft no longer offers the DDK for download, but you can always torrent it.

That would be piracy, given that Microsoft (the owner of the data) no longer wishes to make it available over the Internet. I see your post as condoning active piracy, which is definitely against the terms of use of GDNet.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement